Two identical devices to run in parallel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patriotman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking at different filters and protein skimmers and I notice that the maximum number of gallons that they support is usually around 75G or 100G. Obviously that would not support my 125G tank effectively. My question is it alright to put two identical devices on my tank to run in parallel?
Will that work or will they interfere with each other?

Thanks

As far as filters and skimmers, were you thinking HOB or in-sump?

Just curious... why not have dual overflows into a larger sump? Even on my 60 I have 2 overflows into a 20L Sump. You could get a skimmer that can handle 125+ gal like an Aqua C EV series or Reef Devil/Euro Reef.

I don't think 2 small units will mess with each other, but might cost more in the long run. More pipes, more issues to go wrong, more clutter. A single skimmer that might handle 2X the waste might be less than 2 separate smaller skimmers. Food for thought

I am not real smart about using a sump. I have never tried before. I really do not know much about them. I will have to read up on it.

Thanks for the recommendation for the Aqua C EV series or Reef Devil/Euro Reef skimmers.

No problem... but those two/three are all in sump.

One of the best HOB is Aqua C Remora Pro w/mag 3 pump. Two of those will run you almost $500. Try reading up on sumps... they super easy and can be done DIY for cheap if you can get some help. Also, An Aqua C Pro and maybe a cheaper skimmer would be okay... maybe that and a Bak-Pak, or even a Sea Clone. PM Darin at captivereefs to see if he knows for sure if 2 skimmers will mess each other up.

Well, there are many benefits to a sump. It can add water volume to your setup, making your tank water more stable. It can be a place to put your heaters, pumps, thermometers, etc. You can also add a refugium to hold micro-algae to help with biological filtration, as well as extra LR rubble to help keep nitrates down.

It can also hold in-sump skimmers, which can in essence be limitless to how big & how many gallons the skimmer can handle. The bigger the sump, the better. It can be a cheap tank from a yard sale, or a nice acrylic setup... depending on your desire for looks. (acrylic can also be drilled easier, if you want to modify the heck out of it later).

Don't get me wrong... sumps can get expensive if you buy them from a LFS, but if you're good with your hands and can research them, they can save you tons of money, and will give you more open doors for growth in the future. If you want to add a sump in later, and buy a HOB skimmer now, you can always just hang the skimmer off of the side of the sump as well... so you're not wasting any money if you add the sump later. So they're not "better" or "worse" but will definately be like adding 4X4 to a truck with a hitch... if you plan to get a boat later... BOOM... you're ready and are prepared. Planning is key (just fyi, I'm a fan of sumps... as are many people here... in the end, it's up to what you want to do with your tank in the future). HTH

two skimmers on a tank is fine. Although the seaclone is not your best bet when it comes to skimmers. In sump skimmer generally are bigger and more powerful.

Back
Top Bottom