Very uneven aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Use the composite plastic shims. Spilled water won't affect them and they won't rot.

These things are magical for many things.

I'm far from an engineer but I am thinking a 3/8 or half inch plywood not particleboard (chips so easily) stained on all surfaces with outdoor deck stain in the color of your stand and use furring strips under the plywood, also stained to prevent water damage/warping, to accommodate the slant of the floor. You can add just a dot on each corner of liquid nails type stuff to keep in place, but not the super duty kind that would tear off your wood on the stand, just the light duty kind you could chip off with a sharp putty knife.

Edit: You could dry fit on the floor to level before constructing and gluing. I am going to have to do this too at my house when I put in the next big tank.

You could check the angle with it presently as adding it full could stress the floor to a greater angle than the dry fit.

Then never move it again!!!

Just kidding on that. Also add a decorative trim creatively at a bit of an angle to conceal the odd appearance at the bottom.

Last edited:
Hey all, OP here.

Thanks again for all the wonderful advice. So i'm going to post my thoughts thus far for anyone else who needs this.

To start with I did go with the 'steps' approach of getting very thin plywood, and cutting it to make a steps appearance. I cut it back every ~5" but if I had to do again i might try to find thinner wood and go with 3" or 4". For the most part this seemed to work to level it and mostly provides uniform support. However I did have to shim several of the 'steps'. If your not too worried about aesthetic and you need a quick fix this works great and wasn't terrible expensive.

However I'm not thrilled with the shims and so I think there will be a round two. I will likely try this again with the thick rubber mats V227 mentions. I think it will provide more even support so I wont need to shim it as much. But it's not a project that is going to happen soon. But when i get them i will be sure to update with results.

Thanks again for everyones advice!

Back
Top Bottom