Wavemaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

90gallon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking at adding a wavemaker to my 90 gallon corner tank (coral and fish) and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. So far I have been leaning towards a natural wave timer plus 3 maxi jet powerheads. Anyone have any comments about this system or should I just forget the timer and go for the wavemaster pro? I would prefer the cheaper way. thanks in advance for the help....

I used to use a Chauvet light timer as a wave timer. It would switch power every 2 minutes I believe. It had 4 outlets but 2 would be on and 2 would be off. At the time, this was cheaper than the true wave timers. They can be found on ebay.

So far I have been leaning towards a natural wave timer plus 3 maxi jet powerheads. Anyone have any comments about this system
I use this system and it is okay. It is not a true "wave-maker" in the fact that it just starts and stops the powerheads on a designated time pattern. I was concerned about the hard start and stops in regards to powerhead longevity, but have not noticed a problem yet.

TO be honest, I am just using the Hydor rotating Flo heads (without the sponges). They do great for creating a turbulent flow in my tank. I use them on 2 MJ 900's and 2 MJ 600's. I have it set up so one MJ900 and one MJ 600 are pointing towards each other on each side of the tank. It seems to me that the different flow rates of the 2 PH's makes the head rotate at different speeds, which really causes the flow to be random.

I think I spent a total of $50 for four. Works for me. Anemones, coral and fish are all happy.

http://www.petsolutions.com/Flo-Rotating-Water-Deflector+I41400047.aspx

Back
Top Bottom