Wet/Dry Filtration VS Power Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J-Aqua

Aquarium Advice Activist
We'll its about that time (TAX return checks rule) to get me a BIGGER aquarium. Looking to get 75-90 gallon aquarium; However, most of the aquariums that I have looked at have the "wet/dry" filtration (IE have two holes on the bottom of the tank). How does this compare to Power filters which I am currently using. Are wet/dry filter only used for saltwater aquariums?

IMO, they seem like they wouldn't filter all the bio-load at the bottom of the tank.

I might be confused tho :oops:

TIA
J

If you are doing a SW tank, that is perfect for a sump/wetdry. However, if you are doing a FW tank, you really don't need a pre-drilled tank and canisters will work very well. You would probably need at least two power filters for a 90g.

Jchillin said:
If you are doing a SW tank, that is perfect for a sump/wetdry. However, if you are doing a FW tank, you really don't need a pre-drilled tank and canisters will work very well. You would probably need at least two power filters for a 90g.

Great, :D thats what i thought. So I was thinking for a up to a 90g tank two penquin 350B/Emperor 400 power filters. Fish will be 1 Jack Dempsey, 1 convict, 2 yoyo loaches, 1 pleco. Possibly one more fish...

TIA
J

J-Aqua - Actually a wet/dry is used in most large aquariums including FW. If you end up buying a tank that is drilled for wet/dry its usually worth it to use a wet dry. It depends on the situation you are in. If you are not using the tank as a display tank a couple power filters, a canister or two, or combination would work. A wet/dry is very easy to maintain once you have it set up properly. You also can hide your heaters in the wet/dry, flexibility in filtration media, has a higher bioload capacity than canister or powerfilter, you can make (usually at about the same cost as a large canister filter) or buy your own wet/dry, you also provide more oxygen to both the bacteria (who are very oxygen hungry) in your bio media and the water because it trickles down and gets exposed to the air. I have a 300gal that has a sump and would not even think of filtering it with power filters or canisters since it was made for a sump filtration and is a main display tank, and I have a 180gal that I am building a stand for and will be using a canister or two and powerfilters since this will be a non-display tank that will house a few large fish and the tank is not drilled for a wet/dry. So it depends on what you will be using your new tank for, if it is drilled, how comfortable you are with using a wet/dry, and your willingness to try it.

Back
Top Bottom