What LED fixture size do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ketchup318

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm starting to think about getting some corals, some nice beginner ones first. And after researching a bit, I think I like the Taotronics LED units. I was looking at the dimensions and it says it's only 400cm (15.75 inch) long.

I have a 36G bowfront with a 30 inch long tank. I'm just wondering if one unit is enough or did I need two. Or do I need to look at something else all together?

I'm looking at the 120W 55LED unit on ebay... Thanks

With the chinese 120w light fixtures I would get two for a tank with sps. 1 should work fine for growing softys.

That's a good question if you get one you will have a shadow on each side if you buy 2 the units will be approx. 2 inches longer than the tank.. I have 2 dimmable 120 watt with 90 degree optics on my 55 gal. if you get one without optics it may not have shadows but light wont penetrate as deep. I don't know how deep you tank is but mine is approx. 20 inches. With the 120 watt Taotronics LED units you can grow practically anything I have a clam on the sandbed that is doing great and I had to move my star polyps into the middle of the tank because of the intense light... call and talk to this guy he knows his stuff about the leds he sells. I bought mine with a 1 year warranty, 2-120 dimmable units for $300 he will tell you what you need for your tank Greg Huddleston 918-629-1402.
This is what I got for $300 2 of the units in the link with 90 degree optics if you don't understand optics he will explain it to ya....http://www.ebay.com/itm/28blue-27wh...845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c22ca6ad

I'm starting to think about getting some corals, some nice beginner ones first. And after researching a bit, I think I like the Taotronics LED units. I was looking at the dimensions and it says it's only 400cm (15.75 inch) long.

I have a 36G bowfront with a 30 inch long tank. I'm just wondering if one unit is enough or did I need two. Or do I need to look at something else all together?

I'm looking at the 120W 55LED unit on ebay... Thanks

I have a 36" long breeder and am getting one Chinese taotronic. I believe one should be fine for you. All you have to do is hang it a little higher than regular and you should be fine. Go and read the "best light for your buck" thread and you'll fine out that it is the right amount.

I sold these fixtures. One 120 watt would be plenty for your tank. You will be dialing it back to prevent burning corals. They are inexpensive and not fancy at all, but they work fine. Many of us with tanks full of coral use them.

You could look for the 90 watt units. They are round and smaller, you could use 2 of them.

bill302 hit it on the head. I was just concerned that with one 15 inch, I wouldn't have enough coverage, and with 2... I would actually have light shining out of the tank. I was thinking of getting like a 24 incher from another brand, but I really like the price of these...

Hey Bill, for your contact, do you have an email address? I don't feel comfortable calling a stranger on the phone. Is he a member of this forum?

bill302 hit it on the head. I was just concerned that with one 15 inch, I wouldn't have enough coverage, and with 2... I would actually have light shining out of the tank. I was thinking of getting like a 24 incher from another brand, but I really like the price of these...

Hey Bill, for your contact, do you have an email address? I don't feel comfortable calling a stranger on the phone. Is he a member of this forum?
yes gchuddleston@gmail.com but it will be best to talk to him he will tell you what you need and optics ect he wont mind if you call that's his buisness.... He services saltwater aquariums in his area and installs all these products he sells with great results...and Gregcoyote also hit it on the head you may need 2 smaller different shapped units but the guy I'm telling you about can tell you tell you what he installs and sells on bowfronts...

one unit should be mroe then fine, even for SPS, the 36g bow fronts aren't even that tall maybe 20", placing the fixture hight will give a better spread and on the sides it'll allow you to keep brains and soft corals and not have to worry about them melting

Sorry for hijacking but I have the same question actually but for a different tank. I have a 55 gallon that is 30 inches wide and 24 inches tall. Do I need 1 or two 120 watt units?

What is the front to back dimension? BTW, You don't need optics on these units unless your tank is over 30" deep. I am using them without optics on my 25" deep tank and have sps and clams on the sand bed.
I have 4 of them over my 8' x 30" front to back tank and have no shadowing anywhere.

Agree. But look at your LED emitters, on my Chinese panels they still have a small lens bonded to the top. Those are 120 degree lenses on mine, pretty standard, needed because a LED emits light in a almost 180 degree cone. That of course would waste a ton of light. Sometimes they inset them in a small reflector which does the same thing pretty much.

Last edited:
It isn't. That bubble focuses the light a bit. I'll take some shots of emitters without that bubble. The light spreads out quite a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom