What size QT tank do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maporsche

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a fish last week from a LFS (Power Blue tang). At the fish store they guarentee that every fish they sell is QT in their store for 15 days, so I added the fish to my tank w/o QT'ing it. Well, now that fish is covered in little white spots, which I assume is ICH.

Ok, I have 1 powder blue tang, 1 yellow tang, 1 sailfin tang, 2 clown fish, 1 watchman goby, 1 six-line wrasse, and 1 gamma. They are all juvinile fish. I know that I need to QT these fish pronto, but my QT tank is only 10gallons. I would assume that I need a bigger QT tank for this particular problem. My question is how big. The total length of fish I have in my tank is 17-20 inches.

Could the spots be anything OTHER than ICH?

I can't believe and lFS would QT fish for 15 days without adding any new fish to the same tank to begin a new 15 days. I listened to my LFS once about stuff like that and had a velvet outbreak that killed 9 fish in 2 weeks time.

On your current QT need, I'm guessing something like a 40g MINIMUM might be needed for all those large (and quantitity of) fish. Redardless, with that many in QT, you're gonna be busy changing water often. In the meantime, get the PBT out into the 10g right away.

Also, check out marine velvet. White spots too, but smaller spots and a faster killer.

Do I need to remove all the fish from my main tank? I have removed the one's displaying ICH but I left in 3 others (mainly because I can't catch them) and they don't seem to have any white spots on them.

Google on SW ick and read up on the velvet. These things can leave the fish and live in the water and multiply there. Still, I'm not trying to tell you what your tank has, but you should watch it/the fish closely. If you had to remove the fish from the tank, you'd have to do so for 6-8 weeks I believe for the invaders to die off with no fish host.

Back
Top Bottom