Which filter would you recommend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaycapz

Aquarium Advice Regular
For a 26 gallon bow front SW aquarium, only 4 smaller fish, 20lbs of live rock... I currently have a aqueon 30 that came with tank bundle. I know it's not enough. I'm trying to only go with must haves for now. Any recommended possible HOB filtration anyone can recommend

Thanks!

Aquaclear HOB filters are pretty good. I also hear a lot of ppl on here saying good things about reef octopus HOBs

For that size tank, I would go with an aquaclear 50 or 70. I would run a sponge and some chemipure in it, maybe some purigen if you want too. But rinse it out well every week to prevent nitrate build up.

Hmm ok ill research all of these. Is there anyway to set this up so water changes are monthly?

Nope wc are the reefers best friend! Soon as you let that go bad things are sure to follow. At the longest 2 weeks.

Aqua clear would be good for a 26 gallon? Can I just stick with this and live rock? Would the skimmer be a better option in place of a filter?

Aqua clear would be good for a 26 gallon? Can I just stick with this and live rock? Would the skimmer be a better option in place of a filter?

For that size a tank the usefulness of skimmers is kinda iffy(especially for FOWLR). I'd just run a HOB with some chemipure and filter floss.

Awesome thanks. I may get crazy and get the aqua clear 110, I want to safe. As for power heads, is it a must? Someone else recommended nano heads by korila.

Awesome thanks. I may get crazy and get the aqua clear 110, I want to safe. As for power heads, is it a must? Someone else recommended nano heads by korila.

I would put at least one in there opposite the filter. Koralia makes nice pumps i'd look at the 425. I also like the aqueon nano powerheads.

Remember your bio filter is the rock with the powerhead blowing over it. HOB is mechanical and chemical.

Aqueon 75, AC 70, AC 110

Ok, so I am on the verge of purchasing the new filter. I could use a final opinion.

I see a lot of people saying aqueon filters (which I believe are also owned by AC) are noisier, and more prone to water bypass due to shape of the box. Right now my concern is best of all 3: noise, size and cleaning ability.

Open to suggestions, since this is my first time I am second guessing myself the whole way....

Thanks again!

Go with an aquaclear. I have one that is about 10 years old that still works like it was brand new. And yes a sponge will lead to nitrates if you don't maintain it. I like simple filter floss that you replace every week or 2.

Hows the noise on it? I've seen people say the 70 and 110 carry the same level of noise, just keep the tank water level high enough.

Filter help - size restrictions

Ok so I have been asking questions often about filters, I have another issue. Due to location of tank, I found that the aquaclear 110 might be to deep. It's about 9 inches deep. I need to find a decent filter for my 26g bow. I'm thinking no more than 6.5in deep. I heard bad things about the aqueon 75, noise and limitation of media. I'm trying to stick with at least 400gph. Any ideas? Recommendations?

Just another note, fluval c4 looks decent. Anyone know size if its less bulky than the 110 and how is it overall?

I have a fluval C4 and I love it. It's not all that bulky but only does about 263 gph, I love the fact that you can control the flow and its super quiet. I just wish the intake tube was a bit longer.

Curious if it will be enough though for 26g SW? Originally I was looking to stay 400gph and up. Seems alot recommend it.

Never had a c4 before. Theyre both made by Hagen. Looks like the same concept except the AC is a bottom up flow whereas the c4 is also except the filter pad is vertical in the back. I personally like the AC because it has a tray design similar to a canister filter and you can switch out or clean your media as you see fit. As far as size it wouldnt be overkill to go with something that is rated twice your tank size.

Back
Top Bottom