Fresh2o’s 29g Blackwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, I trimmed the DW a bit so it would fit in the tank. Let me know which positions look most appealing. Pretend you see sand on the bottom.
plbEKVq.jpg

RPa8hZG.jpg

RFnWVX3.jpg

520y0i3.jpg

The last one is probably out of the running because I will not be suspending my lights well above the tank. But thought it was interesting.

#2. #4 you might lose an eye.

#2 is growing on me. It leaves plenty of space beneath it.
#4 and end up looking like this guy? No thanks! [emoji23]
KquHx0c.png
Anywho, DW is taking a bath...
CG1aYQJ.jpg
It is quite buoyant. I might be able to affix a chunk of slate to the rear with a stainless steel screw. That way it won’t be visible and won’t take up space at the bottom.

I'd say #1 or #2. You know something that would be cool in this tank is Brazil nut pods. A lot of people use them in their blackwater setups as they are a normal sight in blackwater streams in South America. They look pretty unique and would further add to the all natural feel of a black water tank. The only problem is that sometimes they can be hard to track down.

Also, I would check out tannin aquatics.com . They have a really unique assortment of scaring materials for black water tanks.

I was pleasantly surprised the driftwood I got a few weeks back only took a few days to stay submerged by itself. Hopefully you have similar luck.

I like #2. It looks like a stump submerged .. Natural and all and the exposed roots will offer the fish a nice hide feature.

#1 and #3 are similar in that they are inverted from one another.
One thing I might do differently with #2 is place a few large stones under the trunk so that it is raised a bit. The trunk would appear more upright in this case. Depends on the stones I use.
PFS has been washed and bagged (ran out of buckets). This should provide a shallow depth. I was surprised how much cloudiness the PFS was after numerous rinsing. Still, a lot less effort than with play sand. Egg crate is in place to distribute the weight of any stones I use.
PzXzzUj.jpg

The Black Mountain Seiryu Stone spent the night in a bleach solution. This is how it looked when I got it. Not sure if I will use these in the scape. I’m leaning towards a more natural tone although, once covered in biolfilm and algae, the Seiryu Stone could work. It’s the chemistry aspects that I am not in favor of.
Yo86aPQ.jpg

I like number 2, but number 4 would be good if you could use rocks to leave it with a length of the tank overhang that doesn't emerge from the water. I've used Eucalypt roots I've gathered myself and the tannin it releases hasn't been a big issue in my experience.

I dont think it will take too long for this DW to sink. A few branches I cut off sank overnight.
While leveling the stand I noticed that it could use some reinforcement along to corners.
d7L3DwW.jpg
Tank on the stand
TzRHLoV.jpg
I filled it then realized it was too close to the door. Empty. Slide. Fill. Here is the DW in positions #1 and #2:
1hvA84h.jpg
UyGGfZM.jpg
I’m thinking about trimming some branches with #2 to change the angle of the trunk. That can be done at a later time.
OomuUnZ.jpg

This is better than a movie.

Thanks for tuning in. I go through periods of inactivity (neglect) with my tanks and then try to make up for it. By the way, the pics above are with the Finnex 24/7 at MAX; I will most likely run it at 40% and possibly adjust the spectrum to make it look more warmer rather than cooler. Over time I figure the sand will darken with biolfilm, mulm, and diatoms. When I rinse out the EcoComplete I will try to harvest as many snails as possible. MTS cruising throughout the sand sounds wonderful.
Now off to clean and install the filter. Later I might go leaf hunting in the nearby woods. I was a busybody this fall and have none on my property.

I can see it cut or left as is with rocks under it like you said..You gain space on the right if you cut it...

That’s a nice piece. Lots of tannins in that one.

Agree, I put that type of wood in my Oscar tank (basically the only type I can get locally) took 3 months to sink and leeched tannis for well over 4 months [emoji106] perfect for a Blackwater setup!

I also like 3 for position [emoji106]

Until a few days ago I’d never heard of Australian Eucalyptus Root. When I soaked it initially in a tub it discolored the water but so far it’s been behaving. I am still open to possibly changing its position. As soon as it gets water logged it will be easier to move around (without the stone as weight).

After dinner I sat down to watch the tank (don’t we all?) and noticed the water level a little lower than earlier. A saw a small pool of water near the trash bin that houses the canister filter. Opened the bin to discover water inside. Disappointed that the trash bin was not water tight (otherwise I would have put the filter in a 5g bucket). More disappointed in the filter. I removed it, took off the lid, wiped down the seal, replaced the lid, and tilted it. Leaking. Repeated the process. Still leaking. Yes, this is a Sun Sun (I can hear the “I told you so”s). Had it about one year. No issues prior to this
Thankfully PetCo was still open. Picked up an AC50. I know it is a bit undersized but I plan on adding another from one of the shrimp tanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom