Temp. 55 gallon tank. 3 oscars and a big channal cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover9000

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is only temp. until the cat goes into the pond and i upgrade my 55 to a 200.

P.S My fish are not dead/dieing/ill it is 11:00pm here and there light has been off for a while and were sleeping (LOL) :D:D:D

Anyway... do you like the setup?

P4160102.jpg
Overall setup.

P4160100.jpg
THE CREW!
(IN MIDDLE)= O.J(ALBINO OSCAR)
(ON RIGHT)= LAVA BOY(RED OSCAR)
(ON LEFT)=MUD BOY(TIGER OSCAR)

P4160099.jpg
LAVA AND MUD!

P4160096.jpg
BIG BLUE!
WOW.... HE LOOKS TINY IN THIS PIC....

LETS HEAR THOSE COMMENTS!

What kind of cat is that?

I love my 26g it looks good to US who look at it everyday but man, what I wouldnt do for a 55+

What kind of cat is that?

I love my 26g it looks good to US who look at it everyday but man, what I wouldnt do for a 55+

That is a good old channel catfish.
You know the ones that get 2 feet long that you can go fishing for? Thats him.

he is so cool! He eats worms out my hand!
i will try get a few more pics of him.

Just so we are clear, lol. I have already let fishlover9000 know that I would be rendering my feedback to him regarding his setup.

Just so someone doesn't think that I am being critical about his tank.

So fishlover, here is how I set up an Oscar tank years ago.

Those taller plants - put one in each corner, buy a few more and to make it more full looking.
Gravel - Not really feeling the multi-coloured look, how about a solid colour. Your fish are mostly dark and right now all I see is gravel. A solid coloured gravel will draw more attention to the fish. Does that make sense?
Your background - What's on the back of the blue? Is it black? Show that side. Black provides an image of more depth.

Oscars in my opinion don't spend too much time at the back of the tank, they are usually in the front to middle. Those are just my observations and my dealings. To 'plant' the back, just makes sense to me.

Big blue does not like to be disterbed...

i had to lift the jug so he comes out.

P4170110.jpg

P4170109.jpg

P4170108.jpg

P4170105.jpg

Oh man, you got your hands full with that channel.

THey get big quick. You need to stop with the worms and get him on atleast medium to large minnows and small to medium roach minnows. He will eventually eat bluegills if he gets big enough.

Where are you at? He gets too big we would love to put him into our 9000g river tank with the 4 flatheads (largest is 38#) and 7 other channels( largest is 18#)

Ill get you some pics when I go into work tomorrow of them, Hopefully they are still doing their staredown.

Oh man, you got your hands full with that channel.

THey get big quick. You need to stop with the worms and get him on atleast medium to large minnows and small to medium roach minnows. He will eventually eat bluegills if he gets big enough.

Where are you at? He gets too big we would love to put him into our 9000g river tank with the 4 flatheads (largest is 38#) and 7 other channels( largest is 18#)

Ill get you some pics when I go into work tomorrow of them, Hopefully they are still doing their staredown.

I would be feeding him minnows but i dont want my Oscars to get HITH ( hole in the head )

as for relocating him to you river tank... i would not mind if it will be a good home for him. whats your ZIP code?

I would be feeding him minnows but i dont want my Oscars to get HITH ( hole in the head )

as for relocating him to you river tank... i would not mind if it will be a good home for him. whats your ZIP code?

As you know they can be hand fed.... use tongs but is there a way you can throw in a divider to feed him and not the oscars?

hamburgphotogallery
page 6 of the pictures

Its not OUR tank but its set up very similar, its inside a 26' tall indoor north american game trophy mountain" conservation mountain".

Like I said, he will have 9k gallons of tank space,

few questions, when/where did you get him, how long have you had em, whats his size? length,girth and weight?

Just questions to better help fit him into the tank, he should be 190% fine due to the fact there are small dink bluegills just swimming around in there and the big flats even leave them alone.

He is about 10 in now so could you wait till he is bigger so there is a 100% chance he will not be food.

Yeah, ill get the pics today of the tiny bluegills in with these huge fish.

Here is what the tank has
several largemouths
several smallmouths
freshwater drum
big common carp
atleast 5 crappie and bluegills
2 gar
1 bullhead
4-5 flatheads
6-7 channel cats
4 walleye
1 musky
alot more bass and panfish
trout rainbows.

I love that catfish! I would get one myself if I had a bigger tank.

Yes but yard ponds freeze nearly solid if not solid in the northern region of the US.

The more water that moves and deeper it is is great for cats during the hot months and fridgid months, then food comes into play now too.

game fish arent good pets

A pond needs to be very deep for a channel i heard!

if it is deep enuf i am sure it would not be a problem. i can picture it now.....

2 ponds side by side....

1 a native pond (bass, cats, trout, gills)
1 koi pond( with cats also )

Depth for GAME fish if you live in a climate that does hard freeze is going ot be atleast 10' deep with a low low level heater to keep it from freezing solid.

Its the plastic that helps conduct that coldness to the bottom of the pond.

Im not sure if you can dig a pond that deep without having insurance on that pond due to the HUGE liability it is.

I am uploading now, ill send em when its all done, 86 pics and 1 90 second video of my store, however atleast 2 dozen are of the 18000 gallons of fishy goodness we got tucked inside the mountain.

Back
Top Bottom