Anyone keep their refugium clean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cjsanders757

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone keep their refugium clean or just let stuff grow in it?
Could I do bare bottom in mine with just rock rubble and Macroalgae??

Does anyone keep their refugium clean or just let stuff grow in it? Could I do bare bottom in mine with just rock rubble and Macroalgae??
I have a 40g sump. It has a refuge in the middle chamber. It's bare bottom, with about 15lbs of rock and chaeto. I cut chaeto when it gets out of control. I also siphon out about 5g from sump 1x a month or so (siphoning between crevasses). I have a couple snails and crabs in refuge. Also some hitch hiking zoas and Kenya's.

The bottom line is the more growth you have in the refugium, the better. I would not put anything in the refugium that eats algae. It defeats the purpose of it being there in the first place. Even cyano growing in the refugium isn't bad, because it's absorbing nutrients and it's not in the DT. I say, keep it ugly.

The bottom line is the more growth you have in the refugium, the better. I would not put anything in the refugium that eats algae. It defeats the purpose of it being there in the first place. Even cyano growing in the refugium isn't bad, because it's absorbing nutrients and it's not in the DT. I say, keep it ugly.

My chaeto isn't growing but the feather caulerpa is growing great. I also have cyano and hair algae growing in there. Also some a green encrusting algae growing on the walls? Coralline possibly?

I don't have any experience with it. I can think of some that I'm sure are good skimmers though. Definitely HOB?

I don't have any experience with it. I can think of some that I'm sure are good skimmers though. Definitely HOB?

I don't have a sump so I need a hob until I put the tank on a stand and get a ump

I have a 75 gallon sump/refug. I keep it somewhat clean. Refug section has a few pounds of rock rubble not near as much as should be in there along with cheato, a little bit of the feather caupla macro algae, two or three different red macro algae don't recall the name. I siphon out the debris once every couple months and clean the glass as needed. It gets that black stuff on it I am guessing from the light being on 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom