Kevin's 36 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With that size tank you really shouldn't be having these heat issues, you have an open top which is a plus. Have you checked with different thermometers? I like the Top Fin digital ones.

In any event a 2 degree change here and there isn't detrimental IMO

I'm using a digital with the sensor about 2 or 3 inches from the top.m. The light does put out heat. You can feel it when you sick your hand under it

Yeah that's why I went to LED's. nothing to be to concerned about just keep an eye on it. The summer time is when I'd be concerned. 81 IMSO is pretty much the limit. I've had my tank hit 83-84 and I was floating bags of ice on the water surface.

Call me crazy, cause my wife does lol but I keep Poland spring water bottles in the freezer so if need be I just put them in the water.

Yeah that's why I went to LED's. nothing to be to concerned about just keep an eye on it. The summer time is when I'd be concerned. 81 IMSO is pretty much the limit. I've had my tank hit 83-84 and I was floating bags of ice on the water surface.

Call me crazy, cause my wife does lol but I keep Poland spring water bottles in the freezer so if need be I just put them in the water.

That's a good idea. we keep house at 72 year round so it should be fine. I just didn't know if I should keep the temp up higher in hopes it stays the same temp instead of fluctuating

That's a good idea. we keep house at 72 year round so it should be fine. I just didn't know if I should keep the temp up higher in hopes it stays the same temp instead of fluctuating

80-81 isn't gonna harm anything. And your spot on. Fluctuation is what will harm something.

80-81 isn't gonna harm anything. And your spot on. Fluctuation is what will harm something.

The light has 2 fans on one side and 2 vents on other. I thought about about swapping direction of fans and see. And maybe moving one to the other side and have one pulling and one pushing

The light has 2 fans on one side and 2 vents on other. I thought about about swapping direction of fans and see. And maybe moving one to the other side and have one pulling and one pushing

I wouldn't switch the fans direction. What you could do is get one of those clamp fans, those little fans and clamp it to the back of the tank and have it blowing on the surface.

Hope the water has cleared up today. I won't say anything about using tap water either.

Hope the water has cleared up today. I won't say anything about using tap water either.

I'm waiting for my lights to come on lol. I've got them set from 10-10 and I let the blue run for 30 min before I turn the other off and then turn the other off at 930 then the timer cuts the blue off.

Temp is at 79.3

I'm waiting for my lights to come on lol. I've got them set from 10-10 and I let the blue run for 30 min before I turn the other off and then turn the other off at 930 then the timer cuts the blue off.

Temp is at 79.3

You may want to try cutting the cycle back to 10 hrs. Also knock the temp down on your heater. Mine runs 76-78. The warmer water coupled with 12hrs of light may be the cause of the bacteria bloom.

You may want to try cutting the cycle back to 10 hrs. Also knock the temp down on your heater. Mine runs 76-78. The warmer water coupled with 12hrs of light may be the cause of the bacteria bloom.

Ok I'll cut it back 2 notches and see

What I don't get is the heater is set on 73 as it is.my fresh heater is set on 77 and stays at 77 degrees

ok I've got it on about 70 now we will see probably won't be able to tell until tomorrow cause the light seems to heat it up. I just find it odd. I've got a aqueon 100watt in the 20 gallon fresh tank and like I said I set it, on 77 and it stays at 77.
This is a 150watt marineland visitherm

I can't explain it either, I think it makes a difference also if the heater is vertical or horizontal. The internal thermostat may be affected by the flow. If the warmer water is being pulled away from the heater it may not kick off soon enough.

I can't explain it either, I think it makes a difference also if the heater is vertical or horizontal. The internal thermostat may be affected by the flow. If the warmer water is being pulled away from the heater it may not kick off soon enough.

True. I've got my thermo about 3 inches from top on other side of tank

Back
Top Bottom