Sniperhank's Red Sea S-series 500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully that's the case. I can't seem to find a single aiptasia...that 20 dollar solution was much better that the nudibranch.
But, the coral are doing well. The purple and yellow eye kole are doing well. Could use some water changes...now that the aiptasia appears to be solved (though I always believe there is always one that I'll be keeping an eye out for) I'll have to get on that.

Quick update. Things are on cruise. There are still about 10 aiptasia in the tank.
I found a good amount of sediment in the corner that I’m going to take care of during water change once my work weekend is done. I just changed out my filters and di resin most likely after I finish this posting. I skipped a couple weeks due to waiting on resin to arrive in the mail.
IMG_3749.jpg
As you can see, it was really needed.
Tangs are both doing fine. I’d like another Ora filefish to take care of the aiptasia, but something for another day. Hopefully can get into the tank to nuke them during water change.

Timely call on changing that filter, definitely looks like it was needed :)

Getting a new Filefish also seems a good idea. I have only had one and then a couple and then a couple more, manually chipping off rock chunks or pieces/edges of frag plugs to remove them but darn if they keep popping up, terrible things.

Indeed. I'll try to nuke them with some aiptasia-x that should be laying around somewhere. I've been checking Petco for another filefish but nothing so far. A 20 dollar fish isn't worth the shipping and handling. If I can ever catch a fish section employee I'll request one to be shipped in.

Oh, surprising you asked. I spent most of my day working on the tank. Big 25 gallon water change as I had a ORA filefish, a sunset montipora frag, and a WWC Bizarro Cyphastea to the tank from Vivid Aquariums. In general things continue to go fine without much interference. The only issue has been the aiptasia, which I can't get in front of...which is where the filefish came into play. The two frags were simply to make the shipping worth it. :D

Water change day. Been attacking the dead zone and sucking out as much gunk as I can Also, salinity was a tad higher than I like it, at 1.028. Not bad but going to bring it down a tad.
Also have an order that will be arriving this week. 4 ORA filefish for the aiptasia, another shot at a blue linkia, yellow porites frag, green acro frag, and a green open brain. AKA, the cool stuff that makes shipping in filefish worth it...but when they have a deal going on plus a chunk of store credit why not?
I also discovered my skimmer had stopped skimming. Pulled the whole thing out and rinsed the unit. Pulled apart the pump and I finally decided to try to address the impeller shaft, which was too long. Being a smart man, I went after it with my friend Mr. Dremel. I'm not sure what that impeller shaft is made of, but that obviously titanium laced hardened plastic wouldn't cut nor burn. Then, just because i had blackened it a tad thought why not try a pair of wire snips...of course cut through it like butter. Have glued the ends onto the impeller shaft as they always come off. Hopefully this addressed all of the issues I've had with this replacement impeller shaft after I accidentally snapped the original one however long ago.

I do as well. I have never had the linkia or fromia do anything but just melt away in my tank, so trying to do some precautionary measures while I'm still on my days off. Truly stunning creatures and I know that they aren't in the 'I belong in the ocean not your aquarium' list. Just some things I've continued to struggle with under this system.

Quick update, the skimmer has stopped skimming again. Didn't have time to tear it open to see what is going on with it before work. Hopefully will get to it when I get off at 5am.

Skimmer works great when it works. This is the replacement impeller. I have no clue why it has never worked as it should. It has to be related to the impeller somehow, as you can still see the water going, just not spinning correctly and not bubbling up like it should.

I don't have any current tank shots. It hasn't changed at all aside from the aiptasia that I continue to try to address. Something I def don't want pictures of.

Things continue to go decently. No issues with any livestock in the system. Everyone is happy, even the filefish. Still not sure what they are eating, but still does not appear to be any of the coral in the system. At least one large aiptasia is back in the corner still and is the last of any I can find in the tank.
Started getting sandbed growth of cyano/algae. Realized that the tds in my water was at 1, so I replaced my resins. Long story short, though needed done, was not the reason for growth in the tank. The lights in my ATS died out and all those nutrients were released back into the system. I work this weekend and haven't had a chance to figure out the path of correction yet. Once into my days off I'll get things apart so I can figure out what all is going on and if the LEDs need replaced or not.

Back
Top Bottom