2 baby plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 30 gal community tank with a mix of tetras and mollies and 2 bristlenose plecos. I first saw one baby near some driftwood. I thought it was a black molly baby but then noticed it was a pleco. I thought it came in a bag of other fish I bought. Then tonight I noticed there were 2 babies. They stay on the driftwood. I put a couple of algae wafers in at night. The other fish don't bother the babies. My plecos must of laid eggs without me realizing. I never had this happen with plecos. I must have lost alot of eggs. I'm sure they lay more than 2 at a time. They are about the size of a dime. If I can get a good picture I will post one.

Cool! It's a nice surprise to find baby fish.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

I have heard it was really hard to breed plecos! Congrats!...I wanna see some pics too!

img_1252662_0_4913eea0dd0c4ae0a38b2e0d7aeaf4c2.jpg

That is one of them. They mainly stay on driftwood and blend in too much to take a picture. This one finally stuck to the glass for a couple of minutes.

Viper said:
The OP mentioned that they were bristlenose plecos. They are probably the easiest plecos to sex.

I agree. The males have "mustaches" and the females do not.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Baby BN? I have more than I know what to do with, most of the brown fry simply get eaten these days. I was stripping down a 75 earlier tonight to move it and found some new BN fry that hadn't been chowed down by the African cichlids yet. A few of them were calico fry, so I moved those 4-5 over to a 33 long with the super red BN for growout. I have a dozen or so sexable super reds in the 33 long, and just moved 50+ younger juvies into the tank to make room in the breeding tank for the latest round of red fry to grow out a bit more. :cool:

Now that they are getting a little bigger I have counted 5 baby plecos. There may be more. I will post more pics when I get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom