ACK! GBRs ate their fry!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwell1295

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just when I thought this pair had it down to science...

I have seen GBRs progress from eating the eggs the 1st day to eating them the 3rd day (twice) and now this. They were doing fine. Guarded the eggs from the very beginning. Taking turns fanning the eggs. Watching over the wigglers. The male and female would even take turns recovering and spitting the wanderers back on the the nest. I come yesterday to see no fry in the tank. Not in the gravel, not stick in the hose covered intake, they just vanished. It's like they let them get big enough to have a nice fish dinner! :(

...and they are by themselves, right??? Just to make sure of things...check in the filter and on any cartridges. They may be small enough to fit through and not get stuck on the intake. If nothing exists there to suggest a death by filter, then you can say they've been digested.

Good luck next round.

Unfortunatly GBRs are notorius spawneaters. You can if you want to raise some fry. Try doing the artificall hatching of the eggs. Otherwise let them spawn and maybe they will get it right. Here's a link for artifically hatching which has and is working for my GBRs (17+spawns) and Apistos.
http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/breeding/blurrambreeding.html

Sincerely Curtis

Yes, I've read that link. I think Weasel F. turned me onto that one a while back. I removed eggs a few spawns back, but had trouble regulating temps in such a small container. I now have a 5.5gal tank that I will use for hatching fry. It has a DIY sponge filter and is at a steady 82F. I will pull the eggs next time around, which should be in a couple of weeks.

To answer your question, the Rams are in the tank by themselves. I had some neons in there with them but the female was about to kill them protecting her spawn, so I took them out. I have hose wrapped around the filter intake (AC30) and nothing got through, so they definitely ended up being a mid-afternoon snack.

Back
Top Bottom