anyone know anything about tadpoles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HorseyJesse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i received a tadpole as a gift in early November. It sprouted back legs maybe a month ago, and it just recently sprouted front ones (in the past few hours!)It is currently living in an aquarium with my fish.

i have another 10 gallon that i can use to house it in, and i was wondering how the half land, half water thing worked. Is there some type of filter one can buy to keep the water clean? Or do i have to manually clean it when needed?

there is so much i dont know..i could really use help. I dont know what kind of frog it will be. It was purchased at Petco, but when i asked them what it was, they had no idea. It is a larger tadpole than i am used to seeing...

can anyone help me?

My wife and I kept Fire-Bellied Toads for awhile and we used a 10 gal also, we split it 50/50 water land using a long thick piece of rock to hold back the fine rounded gravel, gravel should be well above waterline. Planted live plants (house type) and put in a resin hollow log for hiding. We used a Whisper Micro Filter for the water with extra carbon, and made bi-weekly water changes because frogs and toads create alot of ammonia with their waste. All you need is a couple inches of the filter in the water and we found that a hanging screen of silk plants cut down on the waterfall noise nicely. Used a small shop light for heat and light, a tight fitting screened lid with part of covered with plexiglass to help hold moisture, misted twice a day with a spray bottle(they love it) and a simple thermometer. We fed mostly crickets well dusted and gut loaded with vitamin powder twice a week and whatever worms or soft insects we caught outside. They were very fat and happy toads :D .

My wife and I kept Fire-Bellied Toads for awhile and we used a 10 gal also, we split it 50/50 water land using a long thick piece of rock to hold back the fine rounded gravel, gravel should be well above waterline. Planted live plants (house type) and put in a resin hollow log for hiding. We used a Whisper Micro Filter for the water with extra carbon, and made bi-weekly water changes because frogs and toads create alot of ammonia with their waste. All you need is a couple inches of the filter in the water and we found that a hanging screen of silk plants cut down on the waterfall noise nicely. Used a small shop light for heat and light, a tight fitting screened lid with part of covered with plexiglass to help hold moisture, misted twice a day with a spray bottle(they love it) and a simple thermometer. We fed mostly crickets well dusted and gut loaded with vitamin powder twice a week and whatever worms or soft insects we caught outside. They were very fat and happy toads :D .

alright..do you know how long it will take to reach full growth?

thanks so much for your help ChileRelleno! It is very much appreciated!

Full growth depends on the tadpole type. Do can you give us a description of the size, coloration of the tadpole?
Here is a helpful link http://www.trentu.ca/biology/berrill/IdentificationTable.htm

You will have to copy paste because of the acronym mod.

RogerMcAllen said:
Full growth depends on the tadpole type. Do can you give us a description of the size, coloration of the tadpole?
Here is a helpful link http://www.trentu.ca/biology/berrill/IdentificationTable.htm

You will have to copy paste because of the acronym mod.

When you link things you can select the link and hit the "URL" tab to make it clickable.

Also, to make a word or sentence a link you can go like this:

[ url=link here]Words here [ /url]
But don't linclude the spaces

Like this:
Code:
[url=http://www.ourglasshouse.com/holly/Molly_Snow.jpg]My dog Molly :)[/url]

tadpole...

Yeah, a good description or picture would be helpful. While things are being figured out you can start by placing it in that extra 10 gal.. a couple of inches of water and a rock or something to crawl out onto will do for now but not for too long. Leave it to Petco to sell something that they don't know what it is... That makes me sooooooooo angry... If it were a bullfrog and you wanted to keep it as an adult you would need a fairly large tank for it. You could always let it go when it's warm enough outside. Identifying it should be top priority... It you do set up a tank for it, it would still depend on what it is. If it's a mostly aquatic frog you wouldn't need much land, if it were a treefrog or something it wouldn't need as much water... So we definitely need to id it soon. As far as filtering the water goes, there are quite a few different types of filters that would work for something like that. Petco should carry some of those. Ammonia could become a problem in an unfiltered tank but for a tadpole or frog water does not need to be crystal clear... Anyway, let's figure out what it is... Here sre some helpful links...
http://allaboutfrogs.org/froglnd.shtml simple site with basic care
http://www.amphibiaweb.org/aw/lists/index.shtml more complicate but complete lists
http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/GAFrog.Toad.html found in georgia but a good list with good pics of adults and tadpoles
And of course, don't forget to join www.reptileadvice.com

I had a bullfrog as a kid.

Those things GET FRICKEN HUGE!!!

A monster frog that could fit my fist in his mouth! 8O

ok well using the link that RogerMcAllen provided, my tadpole would resemble the green frog if it werent for all the spots...

the tadpole it about 3.5 inches from nose to tail. It is green in color. There are almost no spots (except for some small black ones that are hard to see). It's tail is green, not clear. The underside is a lighter green.

i know..im not very good at describing...i might be able to get a picture up tomorrow.

I wouldn't try feeding it with its front legs sprouted because it uses its tail as its nutrition. Just wanted to let you know just in case you didn't know.

If it's a bullfrog tad, it will take as long as two years to develop into a frog.

As for a filter, I would probably use obn of those filters that can be found in turtle tanks.

Back
Top Bottom