Black molly pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vexxiang

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone tell me what I might expect from this black molly? Its underbelly has been swelling over the last week. It appears pregnant. But there are no other mollies in the tank and haven't been for a while.

I checked the fridge and all the beers are there so it can't be that.

I recently added a stinkpot turtle. If I breed hybrid molly turtle babies could they be valuable?

Any insight would be welcome!

Attachments

• 1408934038333.jpg
    1408934038333.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 69
Weird. Can these fish reproduce without a male? Or could it have been compatible with the goldfish? I'm confused how it managed this.

Maybe she is sneaking out at night??

Some fish.

Attachments

• 1409009108828.jpg
    1409009108828.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 1409009124402.jpg
    1409009124402.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 1409009136425.jpg
    1409009136425.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 66
Actually, mollies can hold sperm in their bodies sometimes for six months! They keep in in their bodies and can have multiple batches of fry without a male being present, as long as he was before. If your molly came from a place where there were males, she's pregnant all right;)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

And I hope hope hope that you aren't keeping the molly with the goldfish AND angels. How large is your tank?

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Turtles can't breed with any fish as far as my knowledge goes either. Mollies will breed with any other mollies and I believe they interbreed with guppies.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Goldfish was relocated to our front porch pond.

Any reason she would be incompatible with the angels?

Its 50 gallon.

I apologize if I was rude or unkind in my response. I just panicked because that really isn't good for the fish but I'm grateful that they've been moved.

For the angels, my only concern was if they were in a tank not big enough for them but a fifty gallon looks fine to me(I've never kept them in that tank before though I know how much space they need).
My apologies.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

There's nothing wrong with giving your opinion, that's what we are all here for! I would definitely want to be told if my tank was about to turn into Lord of the Flies.

I admit that any fry resulting from this molly will likely be a high protein snack for the rest.

I rest assured:) I have a baby angelfish in my tank an she almost gulped down my molly fry before I caught it in the net eek! I'd say that it's too late to separate the female now though. Good luck!

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

This molly is now becoming aggressive to the other fish. Its still very bloated. Still baffled how one molly can be pregnant without any males! Unless she has been pregnant for 3 years! I guess that would make anyone cranky.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom