Black Moor Goldfish Fry (Pictures from day 1 up to 3 months!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks for the comments everyone!

Here is an update

i kept the 8 most beautiful ones and put them in my new tank. The rest i brough to a trusty LFS
YouTube - Black Moors 5 months old

Yesterday i removed all anubias from the tank as the little terrors literally tore them apart. They seemed to love the taste of the rhizome and the leaves (they only left the veins from the leaves lol) :banghead
Anyway the rest of the plants seem to be doing ok (babomba and babomba asiatica is doing exceptionally well until now). I started adding CO2 2 days ago so hopefully growth will start off easier
It does indeed take a lot of time. Especially with goldfish that seem to tear things up whenever they feel like it.

There are 6 moors left in the tank. I gave 2 to my mother. Today 1 more is going to my sister in law. In about a month 2 more will go to my brother. The rest 3 are for me :clap

Here is a video of 3 of the moors (bowl only for viewing purposes of course!)
YouTube - Black moors 5 months old
YouTube - Black moor 5 months old
These 2 are certainly keepers :greensmile :greensmile

Wow, very cute. It looks like they are trying to eat the gravel thinkking it is food. But ya, goldfish and plants don't mix well most fo the time. the second video is not loaded correctly by the way.

the video was shortly after feeding time and there were some tiny pieces of food on the sand:)
I fixed the link to the other video! thanks for the heads up

thanks both for your comments!

WOW! Good job! Those fish usually creep me out, but your's are super cute and funny! Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your tank!!! Looks so awesome! Good job!

Wow!
I really enjoyed following up on the progress... Also enjoyed that you had some videos.
Hehe.. Those freak me out as well, with their huge eyeballs.. but to each their own.
Great job ! Congratz

how did u tell the difference btween the male and female? how big or old were they when they laid the eggs? did u hav 2 take the parents out

how did u tell the difference btween the male and female? how big or old were they when they laid the eggs? did u hav 2 take the parents out

the males have tiny white points (breeding stars) on the gill covers and along the first ray of their pectoral fins.

Mine were about 1-1.5 years old when they laid eggs. Sexual maturity should be around a year old. Some of my young moors (the results of this breeding), already have breeding stars and it has only been a bit more than half a year

Ideally you want to take the parents out. I didnt do that though. I just removed the plants and decoration that had eggs on them.

hop this helps

So do the eggs stick to the plants and rocks or how did u move them?, how did u move them in new water? did u use same water from original tank? How long b4 eggs hatched? Can u explain the breeding star thing to me u hav a pic??? and approx. how big is 1.5 years old????
Thanx so much

i am a bit lazy to take pictures myself now but here is one from the web:)
tubercles.jpg

The white spots on the gill cover and the pectorial fin are the breeding stars (breeding tubercles)

The eggs are sticky and will adhere to plants, decoration and gravel. The female will release eggs preferably close to plants (moss works great).
Just remove the plants/ decoration and move them to another tank.
Use water from your main tank and a heater to maintain a temp around 22C. After this use fresh, conditioned water (at the same temp) for water changes. Also make sure that the water level in the egg-tank is not too deep.
Ideally you should setup a small sponge filter to provide some sort of filtration. You can very easily build one very cheap (search for DIY sponge filter on google) and power it with an air pump. You can adjust the flow with an air valve, so that fry are not getting sucked into the sponge.
Alternatively you can do frequent water changes until the fry get larger. At some point you will require some sort of filtration however.

The eggs will hatch within 1-2 days, after which they will still remain at the bottom if the tank, feeding off their yolk sack (~1 day). During this time, remove any eggs with fungus attached to them. These are unfertilized eggs. After day 2-3, the fry should be fed 2-3 times per day.

As about the size, it can vary. Just take a look for breeding stars, which should be an indication that the fish has reached sexual maturity.
Also know that fancy goldfish typically reach their full size at about 1-2 years old, after which they might continue to grow slowly.

thanx 4 all ur help, i might give that a try, i hope u dont mind me asking u more get it Moor questions if i need to haha
thanx again

Back
Top Bottom