Do I need a heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vacuumlad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I'm setting up a 2 gallon aquarium with a filter for my guppy and Molly fry our house stays at about 65° and I was wondering if I need a heater I think that would be too cold but I don't have the money to go out and buy heater any other ideas? thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Set up a bigger Rubbermaid bin so you have enough room for a heater.

2g will get dirty way to fast and the fry might die.

You can often find very cheap 10-20g tanks on CL with heaters and filters.

Petsmart is having a dollar pet gallon sale on great choice 10 and 20 gallon tanks.

Sounds like you will need a heater to maintain the water temp at 75 at least. My mollies stay healthiest at 80. Heaters for small tanks are just a few bucks, and then you can size up later.

If you can't afford a heater, how Will you afford to feed and care for your fish?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I can spend $3 on some fish food and $5 for some water conditioner but I don't want to spend upwards of $20 for a heater for a TEMPORARY 3-5 gallon tank.

A 3-5g tank will not be large enough for a fry tank IMHO. You need to keep the water VERY clean, and fry need room to grow. Plus small tanks are less stable, temperature swings faster, ammonia builds up very fast, etc...

The fry will likely just die without proper heat and filtration.

I would just keep males then you don't have to worry about having fry.

10-30g would be better. I don't know what size your main tank is, but I recommend at least 30g for mollies as they can get 3 to 5 inches and are very active swimmers.

Used tanks or DIY containers are cheaper. You might be able to set up a 10g as a Sump to the main, that way they can share the heater, but with the house that cold, you may still end up needing a second heater, depending on how strong your current heater is.

Honestly if you are keeping both male and females you will never not have fry. They just keep coming and coming. Both guppies and mollies breed like crazy so it is doubtful that it will be big enough. Average guppy gestation is 28 days... So babies every month.

A 3-5 gallon heater is $10

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom