Finally, 1 guppy fry!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaygunK

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 3 preggo guppies in my community tank. And I finally found a fry, 1 fry, caught it and stuck it in my baby net. So, my question is how do I know who's it is & are there more or more to come? Should I just keep watching for fry? I would LOVE to actually see them being born and have the mom in a breeder box, so all of the fry are already "captured" & safe. But I can't stick 3 momma's in a box & just wait for them to drop, can I? Seems cruel. Anywho, just happy I have 1!

Also there are some 3.5 week old platies (2) in the baby box with the newborn guppy, you think that's ok?

Enjoy some pics! :D

View attachment 89573

View attachment 89574

View attachment 89575

As long as the older platy's aren't too big no problem. If the guppy fry isn't small enough to fit in the platy's mouth, then all is well. Unless you witness the birth or separate the mothers to different traps/nets for the birthing process, identifying which belongs to each mother. Another possibility is the coloration of the mothers. I have three guppy mothers right now as well (hoping for another two). One mother has a green and leopard style pattern on the tailfin, mother two has a yellow coloration on the tail, final has sky blue and black pattern on her tail.

As the fry grow older they will typically resemble the parents (gets difficult if same father for each drop lol). Good luck and I hope you get more and more fry!

You will probably have to wait for the baby to colour up. If you've found one fry there is usually more. I thought that and I found another six .

Back
Top Bottom