guppy fry.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends what's in the the tank and a lot of other things. But best rule is hiding places and the fry are bigger than the other fish in your tanks month.

I had a 7 week old fry just gone one day. She was in the tank with two females. I later found out by watching these two females eat fry like crazy. :(

Just guppies in there. Sooo basically until they look big enough, eh? Dang I just feel bad, the net is so small :/

You could make more fry holders so more room in each one, or you could get a 10g and raise them in there. Thats what I do but I keep the bottom sterile so the fry don't get stuck in the substrate

Bubbles0oO said:
You could make more fry holders so more room in each one, or you could get a 10g and raise them in there. Thats what I do but I keep the bottom sterile so the fry don't get stuck in the substrate

I bought a tank for my molly babies when I had em. 20g... Just wasn't fair to keep em in that tiny net.

I don't net my fry. I let them use their instincts and self-preservation skills to survive in the main tank. They hide out in the java moss until THEY feel they are ready to come out, not until I feel they are ready to come out.

But beware when your doing your fry tank. Have a lfs that can take fry off your hands. I have a deal with my lfs they give me special discounts and I provide a healthy supply of guppies platies mollies and swordtails

Bubbles0oO said:
But beware when your doing your fry tank. Have a lfs that can take fry off your hands. I have a deal with my lfs they give me special discounts and I provide a healthy supply of guppies platies mollies and swordtails

Yes... This is going to be my issue. I don't know how many will survive... But i have to find homes for them. I want to keep a few but not 200!

I am breeding mine for turtle food, I know that is probably not what everyone wanted to hear, but he has to eat too!

AndrewsPistol said:
I am breeding mine for turtle food, I know that is probably not what everyone wanted to hear, but he has to eat too!

I completely understand that... The turtle does have to eat. Your post sounded so concerned for the fry I thought you cared more about their well being... It didn't sound like you was raising food. Isnt it easier or cheaper to buy feeder fish? Someone mentioned I let my older fish eat my baby fry.. I still have a couple of hundred... But I can't do that. I have put so much effort into making sure they survive... I can't let them be eaten.

I completely understand that... The turtle does have to eat. Your post sounded so concerned for the fry I thought you cared more about their well being... It didn't sound like you was raising food. Isnt it easier or cheaper to buy feeder fish? Someone mentioned I let my older fish eat my baby fry.. I still have a couple of hundred... But I can't do that. I have put so much effort into making sure they survive... I can't let them be eaten.

I am having a hard time with it because they are so darned cute! I guess I dont want them to suffer in the small net for the time being! I honestly dont know if I can feed them to him lol. Its different when you feed a grown fish when you dont see them as babies!! He gets mostly crickets and super worms. I gave him some fish the other day and he loved it so I thought Id grow my own since my lfs is almost an hour away and with gas at $4.15 a gallon the drive is a killer...

Poor babies :bawl:

I see your reasoning though....that's a long expensive drive. I have a 10g full of guppy fry right now so I guess I'm a little more sensitive...lol.

Poor babies :bawl:

I see your reasoning though....that's a long expensive drive. I have a 10g full of guppy fry right now so I guess I'm a little more sensitive...lol.

I honestly dont know if I can :( They are getting big already and just being too stinkin cute! I have a heart too, I just dont know what to do :( I was all gung ho about culturing my own feeders till they got here....

I honestly dont know if I can :( They are getting big already and just being too stinkin cute! I have a heart too, I just dont know what to do :( I was all gung ho about culturing my own feeders till they got here....

Grow your own worms or something....:lol:....I know you can grow your own micro worms and brine shrimp. I'm totally okay with worms dying. ;)

Grow your own worms or something....:lol:....I know you can grow your own micro worms and brine shrimp. I'm totally okay with worms dying. ;)

Lol, me too! I get sooo sad when I watch the babies thinking that they are doomed, thats the main reason I want to make them comfy... I wonder if someone will buy these guppies off me... I think you have successfully pursuaded me into not feedintg them to my Turkles, I love him but worms and crickets may have to be his life for now!!!

I think I would have to grow earthworms tho. That may be easy.. but what if those babies are cute... good lord! I have read that once he gets bigger he will need alot of leafy veg and stuff so this is just temporary... cant wait till he doesnt have to end lives n e more, my goodness!!

Back
Top Bottom