How do you feed green water to fry in a 1 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joidevive

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have cultured a green water in a jar and am waiting to transfer some of that into the tank though I don't know how to proceed doing it. Do I pour some of that on top of the tank? Will it be enough to feed the frys at the bottom? I haven't seen them coming out of the gravel.

What kind of fry are they? How did you make the green water?

Zebra Danio

I placed vegetable leaf in a water filled jar and left it in the sun

Zebra Danio

I placed vegetable leaf in a water filled jar and left it in the sun

I see. This could be a bit tricky since you don't really know what you have growing in the green water and most likely the culture is not rich enough. As a rule I would pour enough greenwater to turn the aquarium water light green but would also add some fine powdee dry food and dry egg yolk. Of course you need to keep the water clean. Can you see the fry? They need to be free swiming to feed which takes a couple of days after they hatch.

The green water that I have is currently cloudy and light green.

The fry are black and small. I do see a transparent body shape taking form in older ones. Most of the time I see them hiding in the gravel and they sit still without moving for a day. Occasionally one or two will swim out of the gravel and sink quickly back into the gravel.

I would put the green water in and if you see them darting then it means they are eating after a few hours I would feed with yolk and powder. Do a max water change every day.

Back
Top Bottom