How to breed neon tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicki Gaga

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got 5 neon tetras (3 males, 2 females) in a 25 gallon tank. 1 of them has dropsy :p

Loads of plants
Great filtration
20% water change once a week so nitrites must be low
Temperature 24 degrees Celsius
pH7.8 (I really don't know any way to lower it. Bogwood and peat moss DID NOT help)
Gravel substrate
Has many other peaceful fish

So why aren't they breeding?

Have you tested the nitrates via a liquid test kit to be sure they are low? What about ammonia levels? Neons are hard to breed and are very fragile in the home aquarium. They don't live long and prosper for most people.

I bring my tank water with me every time I go to the fish store and they said the water was clean. The nitrites was an orange colour and I doubt there's high ammonia because I clean the tank once a week.

Okay I'm planning on buying indian almond leaves for a change and I'm going to freeze some of the new water every time I do a water change?

Is this okay?

Okay I'm planning on buying indian almond leaves for a change and I'm going to freeze some of the new water every time I do a water change?

Is this okay?

NO !!! don't add ice cubes to your tank !!!

Did you read the links I've posted ?
I said I add slightly cooler water, not ice cubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You sprinkle slightly cooler water across the top of the tank to simulate rainfall silly;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use a large watering can with a sprinkler spout to add water in such situations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I heard you could let the tank go for a while aka to Mimic the dry season and then do a heavy water change

Sent from my fish tank

The main thing is to put them in a species ONLY tank, condition them with live food and pristine water and places to lay eggs.

You will not get any Neon fry in a community set up. Esp when you've been having sick fish.

Now my customer went from losing fish to bringing me 30 baby Cherry Barbs, once I got him into live plants and excellent water from weekly water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom