Krib questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
My pair in my 75 gal laid eggs around 22-24 hours ago and up until 2 or 3 hours ago I saw all of the eggs on a piece of DW. Now I don't see them but I still see the pair guarding another spot with their life. My question is could the eggs have hatched within an hour and the parents moved them with out me seeing? And when should I take the fry from the parents and grow them out myself?

The parents likely did move them. They either move them to a cave or pit in the gravel. If the fry are not in danger from other fish I would leave them with mom and dad. If not, siphon them out at 6-8 days old.

It now looks like they did hatch. But this was my pairs first go with eggs and I'm pretty sure they ate them after the eggs hatched. :(

It's normal for the first few batches to get eaten. The parents instincts are still kicking in and most get better after a few spawns. You can always look into artificially hatching the eggs and raising the fry yourself.

The female is being very aggressive towards the male. He is now hiding in the upper corner away from her. She is guarding the area where they previously laid eggs. So my guess is that she is ready to breed but he isn't? Is that right? Correct me if I'm wrong

They might not have eaten them. They could have moved them lower and she's guarding them. They don't like to be watched, so that's why they possibly moved them. They could have felt the big human was going to steal/damage their eggs.

They laid the eggs sometime in the range of 4-5 days ago. The eggs disappeared 3 days ago. It doesn't look like their are any eggs/fry anywhere in sight. I will tell you if I'm wrong but I feel those eggs are long gone.

The female is def not guarding any sort of fry/eggs. But she is beating the male badly. Torn fins, loss of color. He looks awful. Should I move the female over to another tank, and let the male reclaim a territory and then reintroduce the female in a week or so?

Back
Top Bottom