Male Platy not being a man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceangirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a male Platy and his harem of 4 ladies. When I had 2 girls and him he seemed interested in being stud. Now with 4 ladies he seems to have lost interest and swims with but not pursue the girls in courtship. Anyone have an idea to get him back to stud?

they are basically boring to him now. he's used to them and used to the same old surroundings and doesnt feel the need to breed or the interest in the girls.

what i found good for 'reviving interest' was completely rearranging my tank and adding an extra male, because they will see competition and fight for dominance and want to win females. though back when i had that tank, i found the extra male claimed some guppy females too..... confusing but they never bred! ha xx

I added the new females only a week ago and he's bored already? I rearrange my decor every week during water change because the cories like to dig at the amazon sword roots and let it float around. My cories like snuffling up plants, I love them though. I was thinking on adding another male or should I trade in a female for a male? I am pretty well stocked until I get my new 29 gallon next weekend or so. The current owner is cleaning/clearing out the saltwater occupants.

what if they're all preggers and have let him know?

+1. It is possible that if all the females are pregnant, they are no longer sending him the signals that they want to breed. Before changing anything, check out the females.

A second possibility is that he has past his prime breeding age and won't ever be the stud he once was. If the females are pregnant tho, he has done his job (even if it is not in a "studdly" fashion :brows: )

Hope this helps...(y)

aggresive female

I was looking over my females and I think one of the females is aggressive and chases the orange red wag platy male and I noticed a fish shaped bite out of my panda cories tail. I noticed she was a little feisty, but I think the poor guy got a B- type female and froze. I'll see if they will exchange her for another platy or rehome her.

Back
Top Bottom