minnow breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exact same post i made in the thread he made to identify the fish on this thread. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/what-is-this-fish-120078.html#post1021150

I know exactly what that is. It is a kind of sunfish (also called bream). They get about 8 inch to a foot and will eat your mosquito fish you have. They are territorial but not too aggressive. Can't tell you what kind it is because the quality is not that great and it is not underwater but o well. It might be a red ear or a redbreast. It might be a green sunfish. But i don't think it is a spotted. Where in Florida do you live? I am on the east coast in Lehigh, which is close to Ft. Myers.

thanks i think its a green sunfish i took some underwater pics

Attachments

• IMGA0113.jpg
    IMGA0113.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMGA0114.jpg
    IMGA0114.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMGA0115.jpg
    IMGA0115.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMGA0116.jpg
    IMGA0116.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 65
I think its a juv. mayan cichlid. They almost look like a native fish but after first glance you can tell they arent lepomis. The vertical bars are what trick people. It could be something else though. Does it have a red outline on the fins?

You must be in SWFL?

Actually it looks more like a spotted tilapia. I just looked over the FL invasive species list. There are Mayan Cichlid in the BOW where I also caught a spotted tilapia.

I have one in a tank that is positively a spotted tilapia. Yours looks like it probably is too. I wouldnt have figured out what Ive got if I hadnt seen this page!

SOFIA - SFRSF - IES - What Controls Invasive Animals? - Nonindigenous Fishes of Floridahttp://sofia.usgs.gov/sfrsf/rooms/species/invasive/focus/tilapia.jpg
tilapia.jpg

That is not a juvinile mayan cichlid. I owned a juvi and it is now like 9 inches long. I think it might be a spotted talapia. I think they got it.

heres some better pics of mine there about 3in

Attachments

• IMGA0004.jpg
    IMGA0004.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMGA0005.jpg
    IMGA0005.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom