molly babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ducas005

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. Today on the way to work saw a few baby fry :D in my 45 gallon community tank (planted). Bought a breeder net on the way home, but then didnt see any fry except one, which was then eaten by my betta in one gulp. :cry:

My friend told me these fish give birth every month. So I am thinking (today Sep 19) around Oct 16 I would put any pregnant molly in the breeding net. This is a floating two stage glass thing, which has a fry level.

Can anyone tell me if this is right? Will it stress the molly? If i then put the molly out of the net and continue to feed the fry (letting it remain in the net) is that OK?

Thanks.

My tank: 45 g 2 irid shark, 1 batta, 2 angels. 8 assorted betta, platies and sword tails (mostly female), amazon sword, three giant hygro, 1 moneywort, well cycled, marineland 400 dual biowheel filter, heater.

Do you have any vegitation in the tank that the fry can hide in if they are born in the main tank?

I have concerns with moving the mother into a breeding trap on a specific date. I tryed that with a pregnant platy and ended up with 18 still born fry. This is just my experience, of course, and you may actually be ok by doing what you said.

I have molly fry right now that were born in the main tank. I just netted them into the breeding trap as I found them. It took about 2 days to find all of them. I would turn the light off at night and with a flashlight, I would find the little guys starting to venture out into the tank away from the safety of the plants. I would then net them and place them into the trap to keep them safe from the other fish.

One thing that I have noticed is that fry will not grow as fast if they are raised in the breeding trap. I would suggest getting a small tank for a grow out tank, if money and space permits this, of course I don't see anthing wrong with raising them in the breeding trap except that as they get older, it will get really cramped in there. If you are planning on keeping them, then I would watch the growth of the fry and place the largest ones back in the main tank as soon as they are larger than the larger fish's mouth. That will ensure that they will not be eaten. They will hide in the plants for a while until they feel comfortable enough to venture out into the tank.

HTH.

Molly babies also burrow in the gravel, and can remain hidden there for days. Keep a close eye on the gravel line through the glass and you may spot one.

If you put them in a floating a baby tank, they will take forever to grow, BUT they stay alive. I read somewhere that their own waste stunts their growth or something like that. therefore, if you have the luxury, get them their own tank.

Otherwise, it helps a bit to give them there own airstone and site the tank where there is a bit of water flow through baby tank.

I’ve just run downstairs with my KodakDC215 to illustrate.
baby-guppies--airstone.jpg

the illustrated are guppies

Back
Top Bottom