Ok..I have mystery fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fynnie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a nice suprise this morning while doing a PWC on my daughters 10 gallon community tank. I just happened to spot some tiny little eyes looking back at me ....much to my delight. They were in the water that was about to go down the drain. So after carefully emptying the water by the dipperful I found 7 very tiny fry. The yolk sacs have already been absorbed, so I transferred all of them ( carefully) into a breeding trap and RAN to the local pet store for fry food. So far I still have seven little swimmers, but I dont really know what I can do now to try to raise them , even one survivor would be awesome. Any tips on bringing up the little guys?
The tanks parameters are:
temp 79
amm= 0 ppm
ph= 7.4
nitrites= 0 ppm
I use Prime for water conditioning and keep everything about as clean as it can be.

Your info says you have 3 goldies and a tetra, is that right? Usually when we see mystery fry it's livebearers, but I guess the only possibility is the goldfish.

Since they are so small, they will probably need to eat infusoria (microorganisms). Apple snails actually poop out loads of infusoria, as well as keep the environment clean, so I recommend them. You can also culture infusoria by mushing up a dead plant leaf or lettuce in tank water and set it in a jar in front of a window until you get green water. Feed the babies the green water via a dropper. You probably don't have a lot of time to culture it that way though. You can also culture paramecia by gently mushing a lima bean and jarring it until it smells gross (a few days, I think) and dropping the water to the fry. When they get older, you can hatch some baby brine shrimp for them and give them some egg yolk (somebody else will have to tell you how, I've never done it).

I'd set them up their own tank now so it'll be ready for them to move into when they get a little bigger. The conditions in the main tank look good.

Good luck. Babies are fun, but a lot of work.

Actually the tank I got the mystery fry in is my daughters 10 gallon community tank. It houses 2 Danios, 4 Brilliant Rastaboras,4 Neon Tetras and a Betta. So far they are on Wardleys fry food , about 2 drops an hour during the day. I still have all 7 of the little surprises. something must be working but I will work on some infusoria just because I figure variety can only be a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom