perfect food for fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corylover

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok im sure u have scanned the internet in a panic of what to feed the unsuspected fry u have just found. (after u get them out of the main tank.) some say u can feed them flake food others brine shrimp. or you have to buy special fry food. well here is a hint that I have used successfully for live bearing fry and those that were hatched from an egg. I use finely crushed algae wafers with brine shrimp hatchlings. this combination is perfect for there is little rot you have to worry about that would harm the fry and it gives a mix of protein from both and the algae wafers will boost the fry's immune system. this allows for better odds that your fry will make it to adulthood. so far for my Corys I had 30 eggs and 20 hatched I still have that 20 and they are a week and 4 days. all I do is for the egg laying species u have to wait a day after hatching to feed them. this is so they can absorb the yolk. I feed them 1 time a day until they turned 1 week or when I saw they were eating with no leftovers then feed them 2 times a day. and each feeding is a dab of algae wafer on the finger and one test tube filled with brine shrimp. however when they are able to go to my 10g tank in another 2 weeks 3 days I will switch to finely grounded tubafix worms and continue with the algae wafers also. hope this helps. this was from my trial and error with mosquito fish fry so hoping those that are in this situation u will find what u need.

Last edited:
thanks I will keep that in mind I mostly do the wafers as major diet for them and less of the shrimp. they just have 1 week and for days to 2 week and 3 days till they switch to the 10g and then they get finely crushed tubafix worms and algae wafer mix. depending on the tank being ready when they are 1 month or after.

Last edited:
at around 3 months after purchase based on how big yours get the female will be really rounded in the front with almost a u shape in appearance at her tail region. also the female looks wider viewed from atop. males depending on species stay lean and smaller than females. though both my male leopard and emerald male are a tad smaller than the females they aren't as u shaped I will post pics in a second XD.

at around 3 months after purchase based on how big yours get the female will be really rounded in the front with almost a u shape in appearance at her tail region. also the female looks wider viewed from atop. males depending on species stay lean and smaller than females. though both my male leopard and emerald male are a tad smaller than the females they aren't as u shaped I will post pics in a second XD.

That is awesome! I was considering having a tank full of just cory catfish. They are one of my favorite species

this is only for albino or speices that are the same

male female male and female this is the only image you can use for other species like leopards

Last edited:
yea if you get more Corys if you set up a tank just for them you are bound to get some females. I recommend if you are going to do that lots of plants since they are prey fish. and sand bottom or really fine gravel so they can dig through for food. XD. I would say its not bad to have more males then females I think 2 males to 1 female. this is due in part that when females lay eggs they really lay. I had both albinos and leopards lay just over 75 eggs. so with more males they can keep up nicely and not look beat afterwards XD. I ended up with 2 females 1 male for each of my types but its not to bad of a ratio. if I could get more males I would XD.

Last edited:
Okay so just put everything in, still need to test water.

Any suggestions on inexpensive hiding places?

Since we don't have available dark sand here. (Would have to purchase online)
I put in gravel that will not harm the cory's barbels.

★Don't mind the dirty glass and scratches;D

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

it looks like a good start and you don't have to have dark sand I don't just the décor and gravel are of dark shades of blue or green the sand gives them something to scrounge around in. keeps them happy. so far what you have are great spots for them to hide you could add more plants to fill in the empty gaps. when you get the chance though. maybe another drift wood that is a smaller cave. they will be fine with what you have. if you need any ideas you can look on my profile album or in google images Cory tank set ups.

Last edited:
i got a suprise when i got home

I just got back home last night so I went to check on my fish. turns out maybe all 4 female Corys that are old enough laid eggs. I counted 200 on the front of the tank. plus 92+ on the fry pen. then add in the 20-30 I pulled before counting. finally the close to 50 on the side of the tank. XD didn't mind them breeding but dang. all I did was a 50% water change and then all this like always. they love water changes XD. well I am using the breeders pin for the Cory fry from before. I just have the 2 runts in with the eggs since they are to small to eat them. not that they aren't thinking about it XD. in 1 week I can transfer the 18 bigger fry to the 10g they would be 1 month by then. then I will transfer the 2 runts to the breeders pin till they get big enough to join the rest. hoping that I don't have another batch this big for a while XD. I am running out of breeders pins or fry pins XD. well wish me luck XD.:lol:

yea but for some odd reason my loaches are acting like my Corys before breeding time and they have been doing this for 2 going on 3 days now. I got to do some research on my dojos see what's up. I would laugh my head off if they are breeding cause in captivity breeding loaches only happens if you simulate the wild and have them outside. oh if you lived close to me I would send you 20 Corys XD once they hatch in 2 days XD.

Last edited:
yea but for some odd reason my loaches are acting like my Corys before breeding time and they have been doing this for 2 going on 3 days now. I got to do some research on my dojos see what's up. I would laugh my head off if they are breeding cause in captivity breeding loaches only happens if you simulate the wild and have them outside. oh if you lived close to me I would send you 20 Corys XD once they hatch in 2 days XD.

Oh my gosh I would love that!

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

I had to start another tank because of an angelfish emergency.

yea I think the dojos are breeding great. XD. don't know if I get any eggs though. time to observe If he squeezes her then I know its true.

Last edited:
what's the emergency and that's if you live close by though. I live in south Carolina. I would still have to keep them for 2 months so they are big enough and socialized enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom