Same batch of guppies but diff why diff sizes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pygora

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I succeeded in getting my fry to develop and graduate to a 10g tank. Yippie! But I am now wondering why the guppy sizes range so much since they were all the same batch. I got what I consider almost full size, medium, small, and EXTRA small. Is it like any other living being and they have "runts"? Or what's the deal? It seems like some of them are taking forever to get any bigger. I did notice each time I moved the fry to a bigger tank they got bigger but I don't want to go any bigger than a 10g. Will the extra smalls eventually get to the same size as the others or will they remain small/smaller?

how sure are you that they are from the same batch? if they were caught from the main tank then they could be from numerous parents. plus the fathers can be smaller than mums, so they take on both parents sizes within the batch.
my guppy fry are less than a day old and theres a few runts, some with golden colouring and some almost black. they just dont stay the same, its how they turn out thats the adventure :D
10g is fine for guppies, but do you really need all the guppies? you can use them as feeders for other fish or donate them to a lfs.
what do u do when they are grown up? congrats btw!!

I know that with my black moscow guppies, the male fry were MUCH smaller than the female fry. Then, of course, if the more aggressive fry get more food, they'll naturally be larger.

I'm pretty sure they're the same batch. I had such bad luck at first with the guppies I bought I'm happy these ones are still here! I had 4 guppies (2F&2M) left and got 1 batch a week before the next batch was born and moved them to separate containers so I'm assuming that they're 2 batches. Maybe maybe not considering how new we are to them. How we got down to the 4 to begin with was because my daughter found out we had ick in the tank and we treated that and had no more deaths.

As for needing all the guppies? Well with the first batch I didn't even SEE them til I stared in the tank and I was like "what in the world is that?" and looked closer. I didn't know they ate the young until my daughter came home and removed them and we had 10 or so left. I did pretty good with those since we had 8 of those live. But the next batch we took all of the fry out and tried to separate them into tanks of 20-25 ea. Nope. The 1 tank kept dying until I put them all back together. I ended up with about 20 of those left from about 40-50.
When they all got a bit bigger (starting to look like real fish) I put them back into the tank with dividers and some escaped over to the big fish side with not so good of results.

I guess I am learning as I go? I never knew fish were so complicated before I got this kind. :) But I am enjoying watching them everyday. I can't say they're boring by any means. Just when you think you got it they throw you for a loop. I'm hoping to do better if we get any more.

I guess its possible that since they can have multiple fathers that some took on traits of a diff father and that makes them small? Who knows maybe its cause the one mom was sooo HUGE. Compared to everyone in the tank she is STILL HUGE. lol It just seems like some grew like weeds and others are sooooo slow to grow it looks like they're getting nowhere fast. I am enjoying the different colors we got though. It seems like everyday I see that 1 has developed a bit more and has a bit more color to it. :)

So far as I keep looking I got a mix of orange tail w/white body (like the one mom), orange tailed leopard, and some that are black with orange leopard. Some are kind of just gray but I think those are too small to tell what they'll be yet? I really like the black and orange leopard looking ones. I haven't seen any that dark before. I'm not really sure other than the big huge mom which ones did what with whom so its like a potluck surprise. But if I get another batch I will have to say the darker black & leopard tail orange ones will be the dad. This time I've been watching. I suspect but I don't know for sure.

Probably sooner or later I will end up having another tank if I succeed! I'm debating on whether or not I want to do that yet and how to go about choosing who goes where. I'm trying my best to figure out what I'm doing wrong and how I can do it better. :)

I've been kind of watching them for that because when I first tried to put my little ones in with the surviving adults that I'd originally had the big HUGE female tried to chomp one. She's so big that she had just about the whole fish in her mouth at once. So back went the dividers. Then when I cleaned the tank the other day I noticed 2 males in there chasing her and I thought to myself "GOOD...how do you like to be the one being chased for once?" lol :) So I got to leave everyone in the same tank with no dividers for now. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom