Trying to start a guppy breading tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DoeB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am trying to start a guppy breading tank. I have read everything from bare bottom to planted. That being said, I am very confused on where to start.
Questions I have:
1. substrate
2. aquascape
3. male to female ratio
4. ph & water temp
5. type of filtration
7. lighting

And any other information, anything will help

Bare bottom tank, air stone or sponge filter, lights optional, some floating plants (could be fake plants) and your fish. In a 10 gallon tank you could do 2-3 pairs.

I currently have a 20 long breeding Red and Orange mosaic guppies. I have white sand bottom with a few live plants. They seem to love it I have 2 pairs of breeders in there and they have produced massive amounts of fry which eventually when big enough I trade them in for store credit at my LFS. Once they start breeding there is no stopping them hahaha but they are fairly easy to breed just make sure the little guys have plenty of spots to hide. I have a sponge filter and also using a 30 inch Flourecent light for the plants. I keep the temp around 80° I been at it for 3 months now and I have had minimal casualties.

Male to female ratio is 1:2 at least or 1:3, same with platies :)
This prevents the males from chasing one female too much and stressing her.

Yhea sorry I only have 3 females and a male my other male is in the show tank I removed him due to him chasing too much so yhea keep it 1:2 ratio or 1:3 in my case it's working pretty well got about 30+ fry swimming around anywhere from millimeters to half an inch in size haha

Back
Top Bottom