Urgent!!!: Molly giving birth soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

landon_garcia

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone my Balloon Molly seriously looks like shes about to explode so I put her in a breeder box with a small java fern. (She has been in one before so its not stressing her)

She has a white stringy thing coming out of her under her anal fin. It's definitely not poop. Does anyone have an idea?

Also does anyone know when she will have the babies?

Here are some pics:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420414465.694530.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420414497.804336.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420414534.429956.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420414558.339981.jpg

Please help!

Tank is life!

I've been doing this a long time and the only thought I have is intestine. Balloon Mollys are a product of genetic defect and in my opinion should be banned from the hobby. Intestinal issues are common in this fish.

Did she have the babies? Based on your post I would've assumed it would have been within a day or two. I have also read the white stringy "poop" means an intestinal problem or parasite, but I noticed my molly had this right after I found fry in the tank this week and she is healthy. Same with my platy that had fry several months ago. So it might be normal around birthing time...

Wow, she is huge:eek: Well I think that it may possibly be a birthing tube, but if it it poop, then there is probably an intestinal issue unless it is just her way of getting ready to give birth.

Your Fish

Hello lan...

Have seen this before with my Platys. The stringy stuff appeared before the female dropped a few fry in the tank. I'd get some more floating plants in whatever set up you have for your female. The more heavily planted the birthing area, the better.

I don't move my female Platys, it's too stressful, mainly for me. I just feed all the fish in the tank a little more and a little more often. Well fed adult fish are seldom interested in the fry.

B

Back
Top Bottom