Week 1 - still have fry!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
I can't believe it. I just have to say how cool it s to watch my German Blue Rams be parents because they are awesome at it! I've been watching this since last weekend when I caught the pair doing their "thing." Since then, I've seem the eggs wiggle, then have little tails, to free swimming... all in a 55 gallon COMMUNITY tank. They aren't just staying hidden either! They like to come right out front. Mom and dad are a great team as they constantly switch off the role of gaurding the fry and chasing away other fish. So cool. Anyway, I looked for a divider because the little babies have grown on me but none were around here for a 55 gallon. So, I just got a sponge cover for the filter and I'll just let nature take its course. The tank isn't heavily stocked so I think the babies might have a chance. Still, it is just amazing watching the two German Rams be parents.

Anway, just had to share it with everyone!!

Edit: Just read the sticky by BrianNY so I thought I might add the details for everyone.

1. Tank size - 55 gallon, planted

2. Temperature - 88-90 degrees because I was treating for ICH origionally and since then I've been afraid to lower it because I think it might hurt the baby fry.

3. pH, GH- 6.0, I've also been struggling with my pH because the driftwood I added made it gradually drop (over about 3 months)...again, not doing anything to raise it because of the fry.

4. Conditioning (or what you've been feeding) - flake food, algae waffers, frozen bloodworms on occaision, shrimp pellets

5. Fishes activity prior to spawning- female got a pink belly about 3 weeks ago when they had their first batch of eggs (which I think they ate)

6. Selection of spawning site (if any)- first time was in a cluster of tall plants toward the middle/back of the tank, this second time was in the back right hand corner on the opposite side of the filter

7. Anything you might have done to induce the spawn - possibly the increase in temperature? I had concluded that my rams just weren't interested in eachother so I never tried anything specifically for them... but the spawning happened within a few days after I raised the tank temp to 88+ degrees when I was fighting ich from a new fish.

8. Pics are always great - haha, as soon as I snatch a digi camera from a friend (although my 21st b-day is this saturday sooooo.... hmmm :D )

HTH!!

You're so lucky! I have wanted rams for ages. They're such beautiful fish. Unfortunately, I can't seem to track any down where I live. Thanks for all the info though, when I finally get my hands on some I'll have this thread bookmarked!

:multi: Hooray (and kudos for you). You'll soon be Ram expert Nicole. :D

haha, well not yet! The fry have gone down from over 100 to about 15 now. For some weird reason the female has run off her mate and cannot guard the fry alone. I've watched my platies and angels gobble up around 5 very quickly. I feel bad for the female because she is trying very hard, but she refuses to let the male near the fry now. It is so weird. I think I will loose them all, but I am thinking about doing some rearranging because I am guessing they will breed again (unless the female wants nothing to do with the male anymore!).

Any ideas why she is chasing off her mate?? It *looks* like he keeps trying to come back and help, though I guess he could be wanting to eat them... i dunno...

If you have a small QT you could net them out now..... and the female, if well fed, will be in breeding condition in 1 - 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom