Where to keep fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok, I lost all the fry from my blue rams this go around, was rather unprepared though. I had about a dozen or so eggs hatch, but lost them when something shifted in the tank and they got covered with sand, poor little guys :( so cute wigglin their tales like they where on crack...anyways.

I have my betta in a 1 gallon acrylic tank. I am thinking about keeping my puffer in the 10 gallon with the rams, putting the beta, shrimp, and otos in the 5 gallon (2 otos, 4 shrimp), and when eggs are laid in the 10 gallon, moving the slate to the one gallon, (that I wil turninto abare bottom) and grow the fry out in there.

does this sound feasable? the 1 gallon does have a heater and stays at about 80*F, it also has a mini HOB filter and I have about 8 watts of lighitng on it.

After the fry are a few weeks old, can they be moved into the 5 gallon for a little bit more grow out?

The puffer may end up injuring the rams and eating the eggs. Bad mix putting a puffer in with just about anything. Also, a one gallon container is not appropriate to hatch fry. Too little water volume can make the water fowl too quickly as well as other things can go wrong fairly fast in less water. Fry are extremely sensitive to any radical changes in their environment.

well the puff and rams have lived togeher for 2-3 months, no problems, the only time any form of aggresion is present is when eggs have been layed, the male ram keeps the puff away...understand the DP is about 3/4 inch long, and well fed.

As for the tank size, 1 gallon being to small. I have seen many many sites that recomend even mason jars, as long as water temp is constant (@80 or so) and a partial water change daily. I can easily do that on my heated, filtered 1 gallon tank.

A masion jar is just for the fry. Not the mom and dad to. I have my krib fry in a little tank. I got some gold fish in from a county fair. This is fine for the frist month or so. I wouldn't add th eparents to this tank with the fry. That would cause your bioload to jump really high.

that is all I am talkinga botu I am gonna leave mom and dad in the 10 gallon

This is what I use on my Ap. Cockatoo fry. It works great and they can stay in there for the frist month or longer
efac5802.jpg

As use can see it's not much bigger then a coffoe cup.
efac5800.jpg

I got those from a supplier for hammster cages. They use them as a tank for gold fish at county fairs as well. I have 2 I got from there and 4 I got from a hammster breeder.

re to post

Hi so far what weasel has suggested is very good info. Hey weasel you forgot to give the link to the artifically hatching ram and substrate spawners. don't worry I got you covered. here's the link which i gave to weasel which has given him such good succes http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/breeding/bluerambreeding.html and here is another a little bit diferent but same concept http://www.gcca.net/howto/hatch_substrate_spawners.htm Thease should help ypu with your next spawn if you intend on artifically hatch the eggs. Works for me 97% of the time I raise apistos and rams like weasel.

Sincerely Curtis

Man curtis I'm sliping. LOL Yes that's a great way to insure you get some fry to live. I also have a post on here that shows the same thing with a step by step picture diery. I'm using this parentless hatching as I'typing this with two frys. I hve a fry of red flg cichlids nd a fry of german blue ram { rams adedto hatchery last night 04-01-06 } This works great.
I've been having a 75 to 98% hatch rate from last 3 fry' hatched . Also I keep my dwarf puffers { 3 } with my rams,apisto's 10 differnt spices,kribs,mollie,guppys. In a 75gal heavly planted tank. I don't worrie about them eatting the fry as much as I do my afrancian dwarf froggs.

Weasel F. said:
Man curtis I'm sliping. LOL Yes that's a great way to insure you get some fry to live. I also have a post on here that shows the same thing with a step by step picture diery. I'm using this parentless hatching as I'typing this with two frys. I hve a fry of red flg cichlids nd a fry of german blue ram { rams adedto hatchery last night 04-01-06 } This works great.
I've been having a 75 to 98% hatch rate from last 3 fry' hatched . Also I keep my dwarf puffers { 3 } with my rams,apisto's 10 differnt spices,kribs,mollie,guppys. In a 75gal heavly planted tank. I don't worrie about them eatting the fry as much as I do my afrancian dwarf froggs.

I told you they were going to spawn (the Rams) when they do the the jiggel dance time is near LOL congrates

Curtis

Back
Top Bottom