I give up on posting on these forums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
Me regarding the freezing fish in baggies:

I would only reccomend this if you want to make your fish twitch around and suffer for almost half an hour.

BillyZ

The above, by you, is what I consider an inflamitory remark. There were no assumptions made. My comment was a response to an action taken.

Yeah, inflamatory. Thanks for being clear when I had NO intention of being inflamaroty. Someone one a power trip today or what???

Two points, A. I did not lock the thread. and B, the thread was locked after you second inflamitory remark that was made. The one you did not quote above.

This, as well, will be locked.

grimlock3000 said:
Me regarding the freezing fish in baggies:

I would only reccomend this if you want to make your fish twitch around and suffer for almost half an hour.

BillyZ

The above, by you, is what I consider an inflamitory remark. There were no assumptions made. My comment was a response to an action taken.

Yeah, inflamatory. Thanks for being clear when I had NO intention of being inflamaroty. Someone one a power trip today or what???

There is no way that the person that mentioned this method would take this anyway but inflammatory. You just called him someone that is insensitive to their fish. How to say the same thing without being inflammatory...

"I chose the same method once, the end result was that my fish twitched around and appeared to suffer for about a half an hour before they died. I do not recommend this method."

Says the same thing, but does not put the other poster on the defensive. With your previous statement, he either ignores you, or (more likely) has to defend his position, thereby starting an argument. It's not what you say, nearly so much as how you say it.

Maybe people should acutally read the thread before replying about something that has already been commented on? I had already given my experience on freezing fish, then someone comes along and says, "I would put it in the freezer in a zip lock bag. I hear it just kinda goes to sleep and doesnt wake up. its gentle on the fish and you." ... "I didn't read any of the other posts." Maybe they could have read my earlier comments?

Nothing forces people to actually read the thread before posting, but if someone who blatantly just skips over previous comments might possibly be more likely to get a response they do not like?

I have done the freezing method, the fish twitches, it is horrible to watch. My response was an honest response about what happens. I did not say, "Sure punk, maybe if you want to make the fish suffer, why don't you rip off its fins too? And pour some Pepsi in there?" That would have been inflamatory IMO.

My comments were just as bad as this,

[quuote]Would you pick up your puppy and throw it against the wall if it were dying of cancer and needed to be put down to save it from suffering? I don't think so.[/quote]

To me that is implying that the person who would throw the fish against the wall would be similar to throwing a dog against the wall.

To me that is implying that the person who would throw the fish against the wall would be similar to throwing a dog against the wall.

That came out wrong, but you should get my point.

Maybe people should acutally read the thread before replying about something that has already been commented on?

That logic doesn't wash, and by knowing he had not read the other posts, your was turely inflammatory.

Maybe they could have read my earlier comments?

But they didn't and said as much, you chose to answer in a sarcastic manner anyway.

Would you pick up your puppy and throw it against the wall if it were dying of cancer and needed to be put down to save it from suffering? I don't think so.

[quuote]Would you pick up your puppy and throw it against the wall if it were dying of cancer and needed to be put down to save it from suffering? I don't think so.[/quote]

To me that is implying that the person who would throw the fish against the wall would be similar to throwing a dog against the wall.[/quote]

Yep, I'm sure that was the point. As I said in a previous post, it was not what you said, it was the manner in which you said it. I believe your comments on the same method were...
This is a cruel way to try to kill a fish.

And there was nothing wrong with that either.

I had already given my experience on freezing fish, then someone comes along and says, "I would put it in the freezer in a zip lock bag. I hear it just kinda goes to sleep and doesnt wake up. its gentle on the fish and you."
This forum is for advice. Your advice was to not freeze. Others feel strongly for freezing.
Many studies have been done on the capacity of fish to feel pain and anyone studying fish at a University has to stick to the approved methods of killing a fish. Freezing a fish is approved. As a biologist, I will tell you that the fish goes into a dormant state. Yes, the cells will lyse as a result of freezing, but by then, the fish is dead.

This is a cruel way to try to kill a fish.

And there was nothing wrong with that either.

What? It is not cruel? How else am I supposed to say that in an easy to understand manner? I could have said, "That might not be the best way to go about about, because the fish twitches for a long time and you can clearly tell it is suffering if you decide to stick around and watch it like I did." But then that would be wrong as well because that implies the fish is suffering.

I made no direct attack on the poster, I did not say the poster was evil or wrong. I reinforced my previous comment with something that was obviously taken in a different way than I intended. Regarding my comments on the puppy comments you said,

Yep, I'm sure that was the point.

So one person gets the benefit of the doubt, but I do not.

I can assure you that I did NOT mean my comments in an inflamatory way. My comment about the twicthing may have been blunt, but I meant nothing against RocketSeason who has help me in the past. I had no idea that my comments got the thread locked, because it was not how I intended them. I figured it was someone else.

You know what really upsets me here is that I have posted hundreds of times on these forums, and always tried to be as helpful as possible. I spend a good portion of my day here, and actually looked forward to maybe being an Advisor one day, just for the accomplishment of being recognized for my helpfulness. So here I am using my lunch at work to try to help people on the forum, then, BOOM, I get a thread locked. It feels like I got slapped in the face and I did not even see it coming.

Freezing a fish is approved.

While I have no doubt that the people who do this for a living know more than I do, my opinion is much different after watching a pet fish I cared for undergo the freezing method. I have read similar instances of people freezing pet fish as well, only to be horrified when they check on the fish and it is still alive minutes later. The internet is great for an exchange of information, I offered my opinion based on experience.

You know what really upsets me here is that I have posted hundreds of times on these forums, and always tried to be as helpful as possible. I spend a good portion of my day here, and actually looked forward to maybe being an Advisor one day, just for the accomplishment of being recognized for my helpfulness. So here I am using my lunch at work to try to help people on the forum, then, BOOM, I get a thread locked. It feels like I got slapped in the face and I did not even see it coming.

I've been not replying intentionaly because I didn't want you to get the impression that I had something against you. I do not, in any way. I know that you are a long standing member here and I respect your opinions greatly. "You" did not get the thread locked on your own. My first post in that thread stated that these threads can, as we now see, very easily end up with hurt feelings and high blood preasure. IMO, the worst thing that can come from a treacherous discussion is the burning of bridges between members. Please understand that this was in no way an action "against you" but an action in an attempt to "keep the peace".

Whether or not you think it was not inflamatory, or someone else thinks it was, should not cause such greif between members that have for so long worked together. People make mistakes, people get angry, it's the ones that will swallow pride that shows true humanity.

Surely this can be settled in an adult manner, and without friendships lost....

What? It is not cruel? How else am I supposed to say that in an easy to understand manner?

You misunderstood, there is nothing wrong with your statement, is what I meant.

So one person gets the benefit of the doubt, but I do not.

I can assure you that I did NOT mean my comments in an inflamatory way.

See above, what you meant is of little consequence, your phrasing is what is at issue, not what you said or what you meant.

Back
Top Bottom