1.5 Maroon nipping 3-inch Picasso Trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AMANIQU77

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's actually amazing for me to find out that the maroon has claimed the side of the Aquaclear 4000 PH/internal filter as its territory. It's probably the suctioning feel to it that attracted the maroon.

What's even more amazing for me is the fact that this juvie maroon protects that area vigilantly. Whenever the (overly hyper) Picasso trigger ends up in the maroon's territory, the slow poke maroon starts chugging towards the trigger's side like a bullet. And the trigger stops and looks at the maroon like "Whoa, what was that about?". Then the trigger swims away.

Are Picasso triggers normally gentle? They've been roomies for about 6 months now. is it because they're still both young? Would an eventual 7 inch trigger be trying to get a meal off of a 5 inch maroon?

Thanks for your feedback on this behavioral observation.

I believe Picasso triggers are one of the more gentle types, but I'm not sure if he would try to eat your maroon or not.

Sadly one of my fish died in my Maroons little corner. I had to move a few rocks around to net it out. It was really difficult because I kepts getting bitten, it felt like a hard bang on my hand. He even bit the rocks when I put them back! After this, if I ever lift up the lid of the tank near Maroons end, he's waiting to have a go at me, and they say that fishes memory is only 10 seconds long! :roll:

The Picasso can be easy going But I would watch that situation, your Picasso can turn also. Maroons can get nasty too........

I have read where they will tolerate alot & one day just kill tank mates, I think it is all in the individual fish. It may tolerate less as it matures but only time will tell with these triggers.

I have a Pinktail & they are considered medium Aggressive, I have read about them killing tank mates yet I have had mine for 2 years and does not bother a thing. I still keep my eye on it...lol

Kaye

Maroons can be VERY nasty. This only gets worse as they get old. That is why the only fish in one of my 55 gallons are 2 maroons. Nothing else, no matter how large or temperamental, stands a chance.

My marron are scared of my tangs but attack my shrimps. The clown is only 2.5 inches.

Back
Top Bottom