1 month old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dylix

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, like many others I blindly went to the store and let my son pick out some fish for pets (he was only here for the summer). Like a bad pet owner I got a gold fish and tropical fish. shubunkin goldfish, golden gourami and a rubber-lip pleco.

I'll start off saying I know the goldfish prefers colder water than tropical fish, but theres not much I can do now and I really don't have the heart for a toilet burial while he's alive. I've had them about a month, and realized the two other fish will outgrow my 10g tank in no time, so i'm in the process of buying a bigger tank, 26-29er..

I guess my main question is, when I get the new tank do I start a completely new cycle in that tank or just move the contents from one to another to sort of jump start it.

Sorry for being such a noob:hide:

Move as much as you can from 1 to the other, including the water. That should help move things along for you. You may also want to go bigger with the tank especially with the goldfish. You may also try to rehome him.

Don't worry about the water. The vast majority of your bacteria will be located on your filter with some also being found on your gravel and decorations. The water column is fairly barren when it comes to living organisms.

I would just run your old filter on your new tank and it will colonize it with bacteria.

Have you thought about returning the gold fish to a lfs?

yea I've thought about it, but I'm not sure if they will take him. Since I've had it about a month, don't have the receipt, etc. And would they really resale him? I'm thinking they are like yea yea we'll take him, 5 mins later down the toilet.

yea I've thought about it, but I'm not sure if they will take him. Since I've had it about a month, don't have the receipt, etc. And would they really resale him? I'm thinking they are like yea yea we'll take him, 5 mins later down the toilet.

What reason would they have for doing that when they can sell it? Almost every non chain store will take fish in trade and a lot of chain stores will take donation fish.

Back
Top Bottom