10 gallon fishless cycle questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duydawg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Before my 50/60% water change.

Ammonia - Ammonia would never fall below 1 to 2 ppm. I would redose it to 4, and the next day it would be 2 ppm. I would let it sit, and it would hover around 2-1 ppm.

Nitrite - Dark purple. way over 5ppm

Nitrate - between 80-160 for over three days.

pH - over 8.0+

After my 50/60% water change

Ammonia - was .50, I redose it to 4ppm

Nitrite - Still dark. over 5ppm

Nitrate - around 40 ppm.

pH - purple, still over 8.0

What should i do now?

Check out this link. It has a lot of good info.

My thoughts are not to do the water changes. You are removing the Nitrites and Nitrates before the beneficial bacteria has had a chance to fully develop. Keep dosing the Ammonia and let the system do it's work. When you dose the ammonia and the next day your 'trites and 'trates are 0 your cycle is complete.

Good luck!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Imo you can choose to do PWC to get things readable on the charts...I had to do the same thing in my fishless cycle and it did not slow or stall my cycle...majority of the beneficial bacteria is in your filters themselves so PWC doesn't harm the cycle.

I did about three more water changes since i've made this thread and the nitrites are still really high.

In addition i've added about 5 plants.

Im hoping the high nitrites will not stall the cycle. Im going to be dosing ammonia less, probably 2 ppm every OTHER day.

I want my dwarf puffer fish

You have some conversion going on if your nitrate is rising. But by now ammonia should be going to 0 after 24 hours of dosing. Your PH is ok but I'm suspecting the high nitrites are stalling things. if you've done 3 water changes and nitrites are still high, they could be high enough to be stalling the cycle. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If not do so, as it's good to see what you're starting from as some tap water will have nitrites, etc. If your tap water numbers are 0, try doing a more water changes (full ones) and try to get nitrites to something readable on the chart (<2)---don't forget dechlorinator. Then dose to 2 ppms of ammonia only and check again in 24 hours and see where you are.

Back
Top Bottom