100 gallon tank start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smithj156

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so i was thinking of doing salt water. but insted im going to do fresh water and see if i can handle that then maybe move up to salt water.. well i have water in it 2 heaters going water temp is 76 i have done a few tests ammona 0ppm no2 0ppm and the ph is 7.6 but then i do ph high side and its 8.2.. what do i need to do to get it ready for fish

Attachments

• IMAG0279.jpg
    IMAG0279.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMAG0280.jpg
    IMAG0280.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 75
That is a corner tank so it is probably 92 gallons, not 100.

Large tanks like this can cycle very differently than the smaller ones. In a tank that large you can actually just start slowly stocking and never get a measurable increase in ammonia or nitrite because of the large volume of water. This is especially true it you slowly stock small community type fish. Of course you still need to test daily to make sure this is all that is happening and do water changes if the fish show any signs of stress.

If the regular pH kit says it is the max and the more accurate kit for that range says it is 8.2 then it is probably 8.2. This is perfect for some fish and way too high for others. But stability (which is easier at a higher KH/pH) is much more important than a specific pH. Discus will breed in high quality water with a pH of 8.2.

What fish are you wanting to get?

You could add three juveniles (2-3") and just start a normal water change schedule (which will have to be increased as they grow) and should not detect a normal cycle.

Always do water changes weekly. The amount is whatever is needed to keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm BEFORE a water change. Start with 20% weekly.

PM me for a link to an article on water changes, stocking, etc.

Back
Top Bottom