100% water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ecancienne1983

Aquarium Advice Activist
If i drain all the water out my tank just to clean it and put some overflow boxes in so i can silicone will i have to cycle the tank over again or can i use the bacteria in a bottle when i put the water back in and how long should i have to wait for the silicone to dry before i can put water in

I'd move all the rock over without taking it out of the water... To a bucket. You'll probably have to cycle again because the sand will be exposed to air. If your gonna use bacteria in a bottle, use DR. Tim's, and you'll still have to cycle but it won't take as log.

you wont need to cycle it again. the rock holds the majority of the BB, as long as its 100% going into it, and you keep them sufficiently damp, you wont need to cycle again

Y'all don't see much of me over here but I did keep SW for a few years. :p

You can use a Rubbermaid tub to keep your rock "alive" while you're working on the tank. Drain water out of your tank to the tub, move your rock over, and add your powerheads for circulation.

I've always been told to start over with new bags of sand when swapping tanks (I'd consider this a tank swap, basically). I'm not sure if that's the best way to go about it, but it is what I have done in the past.

I do not envy you this task... good luck with everything.

You. Will probably have a mini cycle if you move the rock as you will be exposing surfaces that were previously covered and covering surfaces that were exposed. Therefore I'd do a couple of water changes but hopefully won't make too much difference. With regards to the sand only need to swap it if your disturbing it as it can build up toxins that are released when stirred but should only be a problem with deep sand beds

you can most def reuse the sand, only thing is you would want to make sure you give it a thorough rinsing before reusing it. (ive reused sand several times with no ill effects) just have to be patient and wash the crap outta it! besides, it gives you something to do while the silicone cures

^^ Thanks for clearing that up. I always started over with sand when I did tank upgrades. Guess I could've saved some money there. :p

Back
Top Bottom