10G ADF tank ... corys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalnewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. My 10G African Dwarf Frog tank currently houses 5 ADFs and 2 otos. I am planning on upgrading my filter so that hopefully I can add a few more inhabitants.
The highly entertaining but notoriously bad scavengers make for messy feedings. It seems like I'm doing small daily or every second day water changes as I try to get the uneaten crap out of the tank.
Would corys be a viable partial solution in a tank this size? If so, can anyone recommend a type? I saw some cool looking pandas at lfs the other day...

Your 10 Gallon Tank

Hi all. My 10G African Dwarf Frog tank currently houses 5 ADFs and 2 otos. I am planning on upgrading my filter so that hopefully I can add a few more inhabitants.
The highly entertaining but notoriously bad scavengers make for messy feedings. It seems like I'm doing small daily or every second day water changes as I try to get the uneaten crap out of the tank.
Would corys be a viable partial solution in a tank this size? If so, can anyone recommend a type? I saw some cool looking pandas at lfs the other day...

Hello total...

Small tanks are a challenge for even the experienced tank keeper. The water can become unlivable for the fish very quickly, because there's not enough water in it to dilute the toxins. Romoving half the tank water every week is needed to keep the chemistry stable.

You have enough fish in the tank as it is, so I wouldn't add more. Corydoras are foragers and need a lot of room to work. I wouldn't put even small Corys in anything less than a 30 gallon tank.

Just one opinion, you're the boss.

B

Sigh. That's what I was afraid of. I know of people who do keep corys in a 10, but I was wondering.
Guess I'll have to continue with daily or every second day changes on top of the weekly. I am just worried that the little buggers might find it too stressful.

Anyway, thanks very much. :thanks:

If you can find Pygmy or Dwarf Cory Cats you could do 4 or 5 in a 10g as they are very commonly used for small tanks. Also Panda and Julii's are small enough you could do 3 in a 10 gallon. They don't need a 30g tank. Also have you thought about getting a mystery snail or ramshorn snail to use as a scavanger? They would work well in a ADF tank.

Another thought but have you looked into those tank vac's that run on batteries that suck up water, filter the detris in a media type bag, and put the water back into the aquarium? You could spot treat with that and do a good WC once weekly.

Sigh. That's what I was afraid of. I know of people who do keep corys in a 10, but I was wondering.
Guess I'll have to continue with daily or every second day changes on top of the weekly. I am just worried that the little buggers might find it too stressful.

Anyway, thanks very much. :thanks:

I have a 10 gallon and I have three julii cory catfish. They are doing awesome and either chill behind plants or rocks, and when they're hungry they roam around looking for food in the sand. I would recommend more since they are a schooling fish, but the store only had 3 at the time so i bought all that they had. But overall, great choice for a community tank..i was scared that my serpae tetras would nibble at them, but over a month in and nothings happened.

If you can find Pygmy or Dwarf Cory Cats you could do 4 or 5 in a 10g as they are very commonly used for small tanks. Also Panda and Julii's are small enough you could do 3 in a 10 gallon. They don't need a 30g tank. Also have you thought about getting a mystery snail or ramshorn snail to use as a scavanger? They would work well in a ADF tank.
:nono:

I think he was meaning putting corys in the 10g he has now...which already houses 5 African Dwarf Frogs and two ottos...putting 4-5 corys in with those would certainly be going overboard since corys need space and need to be in groups as well.

Back
Top Bottom