10g planted winter project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaticterror

Aquarium Advice Regular
So far this is what I've got- 6 cherry barbs. Plants- needle leaf rotala, java moss, wisteria, corkscrew val, oriental sword and I think it's a type of ludwiga, if anyone knows the id on it I'd be greatly appreciative.

what am I doing?

Attachments

• 1414161537010.jpg
    1414161537010.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 1414161567953.jpg
    1414161567953.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 1414161597234.jpg
    1414161597234.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 86
looks nice, cherry barbs need more space though, around 30 gallons. I know personally mine are insanely active at times and will swim the length of my 60 very quickly. Im not trying to be a downer, just looking into the fishes best interest.

I think a nice center peice of DW would look nicely in this, with alot of overhangs. once the back gets filled out with tall plants its going to look so nice, goodjob!

I've kept cherry barbs in tanks from 10 to 90 gallons and would not suggest putting them in less than a 20. I think there are much better options for your 10. Nano fish options - fish that top out at less than 2 inches.

Liveaquaria also says 50 gallons for an ornate bichir, which grows to 2 feet long and is very active. If I recall correctly (it's a rare tank size) a 50 gallon tank is only 3 feet long. Too, it would be great if liveaquaria used standard tank sizes for their recommendations, or better yet lengths. Stating that clown loaches need 100 gallons is completely meaningless, since it's not a tank size one can buy. By their recommendation a 110 would be sufficient, yet not a 90, despite them both having the same footprint.

We can go back and forth all day on liveaquaria suggests for minimums, or any sites minimums for that matter. I take note of them and incorporate my own experiences to determine the minimums that I suggest.

Liveaquaria also says 50 gallons for an ornate bichir, which grows to 2 feet long and is very active. If I recall correctly (it's a rare tank size) a 50 gallon tank is only 3 feet long. Too, it would be great if liveaquaria used standard tank sizes for their recommendations, or better yet lengths. Stating that clown loaches need 100 gallons is completely meaningless, since it's not a tank size one can buy. By their recommendation a 110 would be sufficient, yet not a 90, despite them both having the same footprint.

We can go back and forth all day on liveaquaria suggests for minimums, or any sites minimums for that matter. I take note of them and incorporate my own experiences to determine the minimums that I suggest.

yes however generally they are correct. also take into account they not only look for a tank size that has the foot print generally for the fish, but with enough water volume to handle the bioload.

The dimensions of a tank determine the volume, not the other way around.... The actual volume of water is largely irrelevant to stocking.

Haha just checked the Senegal bichir - LA states they grow to half the size of the ornate but need almost twice the volume (90 gallons). I'm sure there are many species that are accurate, but there are a great deal of them that aren't.

Hmmm, the 6" rosy barbs have the same tank size requirement as the 2" cherry barbs. Not hardly...

I'm sorry for going off topic.

? Thanks for all the awesome advice!!! I will be moving my cherry barbs to a 72g hexagonal once I get the rafael cats grown out enough to join my small central American cichlid 125g. I'm thinking of turning the hexagonal into a discus or angel tank. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I keep it heavily planted I should be able to keep the cherry barbs there, especially if they are the first in the tank.

what am I doing?

Angels would be my vote, discus do best in a 4' tank from what I've gathered from the discus nerds on here.. they are nerds too, huge nerds. Angels and cherry barbs could be a sharp look..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Trying out the API Perfect Start package after losing power due to construction. Here's day 2.

what am I doing?

Attachments

• 1414339701823.jpg
    1414339701823.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 69
Angels would be my vote, discus do best in a 4' tank from what I've gathered from the discus nerds on here.. they are nerds too, huge nerds. Angels and cherry barbs could be a sharp look..

Thanks for the vote and the info!!! ? I love nerds, they entertain me. I think I also fall under the category of nerd, though, as an aquaponic farmer it seems all I have time for is my truly nerdy hobbies and not my super cool ones ?.

Does anyone know of any reputable online breeders for angels. I think a pair of p. scalare spp leopard angels might be perfect. I would much rather spend a few dollars extra for an older peaceful pair from a good breed stock then save money and take my chances.

what am I doing?

Calling andysagar:) that's 2... let's go man..

I have been begging for months to have coralline grow like that!

I'm a sucker for natural scapes so I'd keep all lighting above water. If it's not the submersible led you're talking about and want something to benefit plants than anything marineland is out (i know they make a nice planted light but I think it's a rip off)
Edit. Glitch in the matrix, meant to quote above post not some random sw thread..

I'm a sucker for natural scapes so I'd keep all lighting above water. If it's not the submersible led you're talking about and want something to benefit plants than anything marineland is out (i know they make a nice planted light but I think it's a rip off)
Edit. Glitch in the matrix, meant to quote above post not some random sw thread..

Lol, you probably just tapped the quoted sw post accidentally or started a reply to it and it remembered it. Technology ?

The only reason I'm thinking of the submersible lighting upgrade is because part of this winter project is to show what can be accomplished using only the basics of what is affordable and available to beginner aquarists in my region.

I, personally, have every type of indoor grow light available in multiple quantities, however, all I can grow with them at this scale is super algae ?. So instead of going hi tech or modifying the basic aquarium (replacing the hood, filter heater etc) I am looking for tiny upgrades that any 13 year old with a couple bucks Xmas or birthday money can afford and operate.

On a side note- cherry barbs are spawning after being fed frozen spirulina and brine shrimp. I did not expect that.

what am I doing?

If you want an idea for an awesome nano fish for 10gals then scarlet badis is an awesome choice.

I love badis!!! Only thing is, this project is aimed at beginners and badis require special care. As do killifish, which were also on my list.

what am I doing?

Back
Top Bottom