10G Tank still fairly new!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Surfergurl92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Started this saltwater tank about a little over a month ago and have it already kicking with life! I have 12lbs of live rock, live sand, two turbo snails, a fire shrimp, a cleaner shrimp, a goldbelly damsel, a maroon clownfish, bubble tip anemone, and a zoanthid colony. first added the fire shrimp, then the turbo snails and the damsel then the rest now the water is cloudy nirites are high and hoping that putting a bacteria supplement in the 10G will bring the dangerous nitrites down. I would love suggestions, also i just bought a rio skimmer and for some reason it is not picking up the skim its just filtering any suggestions, cause I am new to saltwater and want to learn more about it!

Pictures

Here are my pictures a couple of weeks ago..

Attachments

• untitled-2.jpg
    untitled-2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 168206_10150128178930871_724620870_8534256_2765869_n.jpg
    168206_10150128178930871_724620870_8534256_2765869_n.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 188
  • liverock.jpg
    liverock.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 182
  • liverock1.jpg
    liverock1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 177
Recent pictures

First off you can tell the difference of the cloudiness from the first to second picture its not my camera and second my anemone moved it was on top of the purple rock and is now underneath it i know they need strong lighting and current but any reason that anyone knows why it could have moved underneath??

Attachments

• giseppi.JPG
    giseppi.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 176
  • cloudytank.JPG
    cloudytank.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 175
  • cleaneranemone.JPG
    cleaneranemone.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 171
  • damsel.JPG
    damsel.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 170
How much of a time difference between the 1st set of pics and the second set. Did you cycle the tank?

I see a couple of weeks. Not enough time to cycle was it.

Yes but after i added the fish and anemone everything was fine the first two days and now its cloudy and nitrites are high everything was normal the first two days.

from what ive been told, your anemone will probably not survive, they require an aged tank of at least a year and high lighting. You also may need more live rock, although you have 12 lbs, it looks like(i could be wrong) that you only have 2 rocks in there, its more about surface area then weight. also i know damsels are aggresive and most dont keep them in small tanks but i know maroons can get aggressive to so maybe they will be fine. Lastly how quickly did you add all that stock? your bacteria might not be able to process all the waste that your live stock is producing. try adding ore of a cleanup crew as well

all in all i have six rocks in there its 12lbs and it moved to the underneath side of the rock i don't know if it was on purpose or fell cause the first few days it was loving on this one rock and in the morning it was underneath i understand that the anemone needs strong lighting which i have but if he's underneath the rock he's not going to get it and i know that it is bad to move him so i don't know what to do... and thanks should i buy more cleaner shrimp??

okay great well since you already have him and your lighting is good he should be fine. they tend to roam around until they find the best spot. he should come out eventually. as for cleaner shrimp, maybe but i was getting at more snails/hermits. maybe 3-4 hermits, 3 cerith snails, 2 nassirus and then the two snails you have now.

Yeah well he's not looking to well today we turned him over last night while he was still stuck to the rock He looked ok was dying on one side but now he is looking like he is dying off worse then last night i kept the light on for him all night hoping that it would help him because he hasn't been getting the light he needs and now just gotta go get my biozyme to even out the nitrites if that doesn't work I'm going to have to get rid of him because i don't want him to kill off everything else i have in the tank. :(
My maroon is still loving on him and he is actually still a little alive on the other side any suggestions?? cause i really don't want to throw him out but then again i don't want him to kill the rest of my living things with his toxins:/

Attachments

• anemone1.JPG
    anemone1.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 153
  • anemone.JPG
    anemone.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 152
yeah he doesnt look like he has much time, id remove it from your tank. everything was fine for the first few days because there was no ammonia spike, now there was and then the nitrite spike you're seeing now. your going through your cycle

Problems a brewin, believe me. The tank is too small and too new to have that much in it. Especially an anenome. Good luck, but your problems are just beginnning IMO.

thanks well i put some biozyme in and he is actually more alive now so who knows it might turn around... I'm keeping him in till later today so a little positivity to look forward to. yes i understand it was too early didn't find that out till we got home, you guys make me sound stupid i'm sorry im still learning...

"stupid" is a bad word around here. And you definitely ain't it either. No apologies allowed either. :) People are new to the hobby and uninformed. Simple as that.

Wishing you the best of luck. Keep us posted wo we can help you. Let us know of any pending decisions so we can inform you.

Also, on the biozyme - additives are not a good idea. Don't get in that habit.

Back
Top Bottom