120 gallon fish in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregcuoz

Aquarium Advice Regular
After doing alot of research on fish in or fishless cycle, Im going with fishin. My question, how many fish should I use and whats the best type of fish to use for 120 gallon? When the cycle is done, do I have to keep the fish I used to cycle if they werent a stock plan?

Thanks in advance

It would be a lot cheaper to get a bottle of ammonia at ACE hardware store. Cost less than $1.50 for a huge bottle, which is enough for several cycles.

Get about 10-15 danios. Probably going to cost you around $5. You end up with dead or damaged fish in the end. Give them away for free on Craigslist.

You won't end up with dead or damaged fish if you do it correctly, not sure why people keep projecting fish-in cycling that way. It can end that way if you don't know what you are doing, but go into it educated and it's simple. It's even easier in a large tank since you are dealing with so much water volume. If you plan to monitor water conditions and stock appropriately it's not that hard, but it's your call.

If you do choose to go fish-in, pick something that you planned to stock anyway so you don't have to rehome the fish later on.

There's a guide around here somewhere, ah, here it is
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium

Why did you go with fish in, just curious? Fishless cycling takes a lot less time, a lot les work. Fish in cyclings require a ton of water changes! I agree with terrrance, jet buy a bottle of ammonia, dose to 4 ppm, and let the bacteria build (its slightly more complicated than that-but I'm sure you know about it from your research)

Good luck :)

Why did you go with fish in, just curious? Fishless cycling takes a lot less time, a lot les work. Fish in cyclings require a ton of water changes! I agree with terrrance, jet buy a bottle of ammonia, dose to 4 ppm, and let the bacteria build (its slightly more complicated than that-but I'm sure you know about it from your research)

Good luck :)

Im not now. See this is why I come and post threads that make me look like a fool. I was looking at the differences on another site. I was reading a guy who said just dump a bunch of fish in and the bacteria will grow. That simple. Well, when I read Jetas link (thanks Jeta), I'm going fishless. 120 gallon tank with potentiall daily water changes will cause alot of erosion around my house to say nothing about the potential water bill, lol.

Fishless, based on Jetas link is what I will do now. Thank God for this site!!!!

Just so you know, you aren't likely going to do big or daily water changes with that size tank. I've cycled many large tanks without having to do any more than weekly water changes, it's all about stocking. People that are anti-fishless cycling tend to say that its a ton of work and you'll do tons of water changes and all that, but it's not true unless you have a serious stocking issue to begin with. And fish-in cycling takes around the same time as fishless a lot of times, either way is sped up with seeded media, but without seeded media can take 4 to 8 weeks or so.

Just so you know, you aren't likely going to do big or daily water changes with that size tank. I've cycled many large tanks without having to do any more than weekly water changes, it's all about stocking. People that are anti-fishless cycling tend to say that its a ton of work and you'll do tons of water changes and all that, but it's not true unless you have a serious stocking issue to begin with. And fish-in cycling takes around the same time as fishless a lot of times, either way is sped up with seeded media, but without seeded media can take 4 to 8 weeks or so.

Im going to use "used" filter media from the previous owner to help speed up the process. No previous desease in the tank so I assume its safe to use the used filters?

Back
Top Bottom