1990 oceanic 75 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I picked up a 75 gallon oceanic with stAnd and magnum 350 canister for 50 bucks my only concern is the seals have algae on them but look to be in great shape besides a few air bubbles on the outside seal which I've already sealed back up. The tank has had water in it the entire time except for the 20 minute ride to my house (I had to drain the water myself because the lady selling it was elderly) my question is will this tank hold up or is it just my paranoia thinking its just going to explode one day? By the way it's a freshwater tank

Pictures to give you an idea

image-3247433294.jpg

Attachments

• image-1763226058.jpg
    image-1763226058.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 164
  • image-1169343134.jpg
    image-1169343134.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 127
  • image-2911121242.jpg
    image-2911121242.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 138
  • image-2650182710.jpg
    image-2650182710.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 486
i would strip it down, take all the old silicone off and re-silicone it. I would do this because of its age, however that might just be me.

i would strip it down, take all the old silicone off and re-silicone it. I would do this because of its age, however that might just be me.

I was hoping it could wait til the next time I move since ill have to strip it down then anyway would that be a big stretch?

i honestly dont know, some tanks can last 20 plus years, others dont last more then 2 years before leaking. if the silicone looks solid to you and there are no signs of leaking or the seams starting to pull apart, then you should be fine, even more so since the old oceanic tanks are very solid.

That being said if it was me i would strip and re-silicone whenever i had a chance just to be on the safe side, then again i have wood floors and cant afford to have 75 gallons of water on my floor so i may be over cautious.

i honestly dont know, some tanks can last 20 plus years, others dont last more then 2 years before leaking. if the silicone looks solid to you and there are no signs of leaking or the seams starting to pull apart, then you should be fine, even more so since the old oceanic tanks are very solid.

That being said if it was me i would strip and re-silicone whenever i had a chance just to be on the safe side, then again i have wood floors and cant afford to have 75 gallons of water on my floor so i may be over cautious.

The seals look pretty solid still soft to the touch and no cracking the center brace is crazy though its about 6 inches wide and made of glass that's an inch thick.

yeah they made the oceanic brands very sturdy back then, unlike now where everything is plastic.

if it all looks good then you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom