20 Gallon Tank; Goldfish Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carps

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could help me out with stocking my tank. I have a 20 gallon tank with a common goldfish and a mystery snail. Are there any fish out there that can live with the goldfish and snail within those parameters? Getting another common is my last choice, I just didn't to add another one because of amount of waste two could produce.

first of all! A common goldfish will get longer than your entire aquariums width! Second of all goldfish In that aquarium cannot be kept with anything else because it shouldn't even be there! Please get something else for the tank and take the goldfish to ur LFS or get a 75 gallon aquarium o something

Alright guy let’s take the aggressive tone down to a calm 3. Didn’t ask for advice on whether to get rid of the fish or get a bigger tank but thank you for the recommendations. I think I’ll be good as is.

The only *cold* water fish that will cohabitate comfortably/safely with the goldie are Danios or White Cloud Minnows. They *should* be kept in groups of 6 so when your Goldie gets bigger you will probably have to rehome them or get a bigger tank *assuming*nthey haven't become snacks by then

Sorry

I just feel really bad for that goldfish and the forum is called aquariumadvice so I just thought I should advise you to help that poor goldfish. :(

Last edited:
As above - I’m not sure if the tank is final home for the goldfish? But stocking wise the tank is too small. By flagging it now, we aim to prevent further issues such as the filter being overwhelmed - a revised tank stocking will be much more enjoyable 6 months down the track.

From memory that’s when I re-homed mine to a pond. Caught some months later and was over a foot long (not including tail). Possibly not that big as we were kids but growth was amazingly quick.

Could be worth looking at native fish in your area. We just had someone asking same question in Aus for outdoors over winter (gets cold, but doesn’t freeze as on coast).

Last edited:
I can assure you Goldie Hawn wok be fine for a while, worst case scenario we take her to our pond.

Sounds great - second the WCM’s. Just watch them in store whatever you get - some fish are too ‘darty’ for some tanks.

Back
Top Bottom