29 gallon tank 130 watts enought lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattt6511

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello i have a 29 gallon tank i was going to get a powercompact light that had 130 watts 65 atinic and 65w 12,000 thast about 4.1 watts per gallon can i put any corals in the tank at all or is it not enought power... if i can can you give me some good basic ideas on easy corals that are pretty nice looking. Thanks!

Sounds good to me. As far as corals go look on liveaquaria under lps and take your pick. The description will tell you how difficult the coral is to maintain. Candy cane, some plates, mushrooms, fox, zoos are good starting corals Good luck from a fellow Carolinian

i kept seretporia ( birdsnest ), hyndophora, monitpora digitata, monitpora capricornus, hammer coral, candy cane, toadstools, xenia, shrooms, leathers, and various star polyps and zoos under that amountof lightin a 29g. you will be fine

steve r

oky cool question i was reading on the zoos the little round looking guys is it true they spread also is it true that they sting other corals for example if i had 3 diff color zoos would they just kill each other

Most corals have the ability to sting other corals, or at least release a toxin into the mucus coat to ward off other corals. You'll see this referenced as 'bio warfare' a lot, and is one reason some people run carbon in their SW tanks...to absorb toxins like that.

If you had 3 different species of zoos, and you place them side by side, they may compete for space.

The watts/gal guideline for corals is really a poor measure. It depends on the types of corals you would like to keep. The lighting you mentioned would allow you to keep a very large variety of soft and LPS corals. Even some SPS corals. It will not allow you to keep whatever you want. Some clams and SPS will still be out of the relm of possibility, long-term.

Back
Top Bottom