3 gallon 360 view aquarium questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpgmomma8404

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got this from a friend of mine for Christmas. I need suggestions on what would be the best heater for it. Also, is it suitable for glofish tetra's? I know danios it is way too small. Plus they do better in long tanks from my understanding. I don't know lot about tetra's's though. I'm almost thinking about getting a betta that would look wicked under the led lights. Maybe a dragon scale or something similar. I just wanted more opinions before I set this bad boy up.

Here's a tank similar to what I have:

Hawkeye Aquaview 360 Cylinder Aquarium Kit - Walmart.com

3 gallon tanks are really only big enough for a single betta and/or shrimp. While GloTetras are nowhere near as active as their danio friends, they are schooling fish and need buddies. The combined bio load of a school of GloTetras wouldn't fit in anything smaller than a 10 gallon tank.

EDIT: Also, a caution on dragonscale bettas... They look beautiful, but they are very prone to tumors. If you decide to go with one make sure you get it from a quality source and not just a random Petco or Wallmart betta. Random Petco or Wallmart dragonscale bettas tend to have very short life expectancies compared to other types.

3 gallon tanks are really only big enough for a single betta and/or shrimp. While GloTetras are nowhere near as active as their danio friends, they are schooling fish and need buddies. The combined bio load of a school of GloTetras wouldn't fit in anything smaller than a 10 gallon tank.

EDIT: Also, a caution on dragonscale bettas... They look beautiful, but they are very prone to tumors. If you decide to go with one make sure you get it from a quality source and not just a random Petco or Wallmart betta. Random Petco or Wallmart dragonscale bettas tend to have very short life expectancies compared to other types.

Ah okay. It was a Christmas gift and I don't want to be ungrateful about it. I actually really like it just trying to figure out what to do with it is the tricky part. Heck I'm not even sure where I'm going to put it right now either, lol.

Personally I'd make it a shrimp and snail tank. Maybe RCS and a nerite.

Personally I'd make it a shrimp and snail tank. Maybe RCS and a nerite.

^ x2. There's some really nifty color morphs of RCS that would quite happily live and breed in a planted 3g tank, and the water parameters would be much more stable and manageable than a betta tank.

Yeah, it's not a bad idea but I'm just not a big fan of shrimp. Never have been. Only reason I would have them is to feed to my fish. :ermm:

I would do a betta or a scarket badis or a pair of sparkling goyrami.

Yeah, it's not a bad idea but I'm just not a big fan of shrimp. Never have been. Only reason I would have them is to feed to my fish. :ermm:

Haha. Fair enough. Probably a betta is your remaining option I'd imagine.

Back
Top Bottom