300 gallon water clarity vs. 180 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

busymom23

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418933593.329225.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418933619.436863.jpg

I don't understand how the 180 water is crystal clear, but the 300 isn't! Is it the lighting? The fact the 300 has a sump? Any ideas you have are appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The smaller tank would clear easier as a smaller amount of water is turning over through the filter, both tanks look pretty good to me looking at those pics......filter floss/pad I find is the best to use in your filter for clarity

I will have to say the lights. What are you running now? I'm running T5 with some 10k to 12k and actinic lights. I was running a few bulbs before and didnt pop, as soon as i added all of them it came alive. I placed in order for 120w dimmable full color spectrum coming from China. I bough it on Monday & should be here Tuesday. I got it for $111.00. Its the same one you see on that mega thread about lights on AA. I will let you know how it goes. I only ordered 1 but will need 3 to light the whole aquarium. For now it should do

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418935450.025044.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418935468.751121.jpg

These are close ups of water in each tank...the 300 has marine land double bright led lighting...and there's 3 separate lights!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418935689.293664.jpg
Here's the lights

Its not the lights it's the filtration in the 300, have you just set the 300 up? looks like the sand residue could be causing that......

Yea, sand was washed when the tank was set up, it's been set up since February, so almost a year..

What inside the sump for filtration and what pump are you using? It's just now that you are not seeing as clear or was it always like that?

The sump has different bays for the water to go over and under, media includes ceramic rings, bio balls, and bags of carbon, it's a 55 gallon sump. 300 also has fx6 filtering as well.

It's always been like that....never got as clear as the others..

So, what's catching all this before it hits your media? No filter pad or anything?

No, only bays before media and bays after media

Wow the water in small tank is crystal clear. What filter is it?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The 180 gallon has 2 Fluval 406

Back
Top Bottom