4ppm ammonia / 0ppm nitrites / 20ppm nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnt2k14

Aquarium Advice Regular
Short story (you've heard before):

2 feeder goldfish won by daughter at a fair. Moved from bags into a bowl into a 10 gallon starter kit and I start reading aquarium sites trying to gain some knowledge.

6 weeks later I finally got the API Master kit and tested the ammonia, 'ites and 'ates and got 4ppm / 0ppm / 20ppm respectively.

I see nitrates so I know the cycle exists in the tank or am I wrong?

So why the high ammonia and 0 nitrites?

I've heard that goldfish are a heavy bio load but that much?!?! They're on about 2.5 inches.

fyi - after day 3 or so we got an ammonia-only test kit and performed pwc to bring the ammonia down regularly to between .25 and .5 ppm.

-John

Hi, bit late but had you tested your tap water to get an idea of the baseline? Some people have nitrates in tap water. Also what is tank ph?

Yes. With day old conditioned tap water the test showed no nitrates. I did a baseline check a while ago before adding fish.
Thanks for the response.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, its not unlikely to see that high ammonia especially in that small of a tank. Chances are that they are producing more than bb can handle. How often and how much do you feed? How often do you change water? And also, what is your baseline tap water reading, non conditionned(direct from the sink).

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

Thanks, Fishanatic.

PWC twice a week, about 1/3 each time.
Feed once per day. Not sure how much. It's a small pinch between thumb and forefinger if that helps. I've never measured the exact amount.
I'll check the tap water tonight.

-John

Checked the water right out of the tap and it has no visible nitrates.

So I guess the cycle is working but the fish are just generating too much ammonia. It will be a while before I get a bigger tank for them. Will the bb ever catch up?

-John

Checked the water right out of the tap and it has no visible nitrates.

So I guess the cycle is working but the fish are just generating too much ammonia. It will be a while before I get a bigger tank for them. Will the bb ever catch up?

-John

I frankly am not sure but i wouldnt think so. My piece of advice? Up the water changes to 1/2 twice a week. Shouldnt bee too hard because the tank is small hopefully.

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

Thanks for the advice. I'll increase the water changes to 50% twice a week and keep testing.

-John

I wonder if additional filtration would help? You'd still need huge water changes due to nitrates, but at least it's not ammonia.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I don't know. The extra "home" for the bb would help I suppose. Is that what you're getting at?

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom