5 gal Hex - ready to start cycling for Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quadrupletmom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for the warm welcome to AA! Here's where we are. Tank filled with tap water and all parts assembled and working. Added Tetra care water conditioner. There is no heater with this kit. 1.)Do I need one for Betta or is room temp sufficient? I have some seed material from a friends goldfish tank...2.) will it last/"live" a couple of days till I can find and then get ammonia levels to 5ppm? Can't seem to find pure ammonia (but haven't been to Walmart yet)...it all has surfactants. Don't have test kit yet. I assume Fishy Business will have exactly what I need. Anna is having a fit to bring a Betta home while tank cycles. Is it a bad idea to purchase one of the "Bettas in the bowl" and bring him on home and use his water and rocks as seed material to cycle his own tank and let him live in his bowl until his home is ready? Not necessary, just have a 9 year old ready to meet her fish...Any other words of wisdom welcomed!

ace hardware is generally the easiest place to find the pure ammonia... with no ammonia source, the bacteria will die fairly quickly like within a day or so, so if you can, keep it in their tank until you get the ammonia... i would wait until the tank is cycled before buying the fish... im sure Anna will understand if you explain to her that it will die if you get it now.

You can get a cheap heater at walmart it is preset temperature. You can do a silent cycle by using the material from your friends filter. It really is best to wait until your tank is cycled before adding fish.

If you get any decorations make sure they won't rip the fishes fins an easy way is to take a piece of nylons and running over it.

Don't forget the peas either bettas get constipated and it causes all sorts of problems.

Make sure you get a test kit because most places use the test strips when you bring in the water for them to test.

Do not use the water it came in. Do not add the ammonia when the fish is in there. I would buy a mini Stealth heater instead of the one from Walmart. I had all Walmart heaters, and they were terrible with keeping the temp right, and I have changed all my heaters out to Stealths.
While you are at the store, you may want to pick up some meds, just so you have them. 2 of my bettas developed ich 2 days after bringing them home.
+1 for the frozen peas, all my bettas developed swim bladder issues right after bringing them home too.
You can bring the betta home, get the tank to the right temp, acclimate the little guy, stick the established gravel in there, out him in there, and then just change 50% of the water out twice a week. The bacteria will eventually get to where it needs to be. In a 5 gallon or smaller tank, the water still needs changed twice a week.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom